Bryant, Eliza and I took Spencer out to Hachinohe to to the Fish Market. It was a quick trip, but we got to introduce him to squid ink cakes and fish cakes. Squid ink is black and doesn't really flavor things much (if at all?) but it definitely seems a little daunting to eat a cake that it totally black. Fish cakes are one of the most delicious treats around, they're like a pancake or waffle with a really crispy outside, filled with a delicious custard (or a less delicious bean paste) on the inside . We also had the unpleasant misfortune of trying a different kind of fish "cake." The one was more like a sandwich with the bread being made of mochi and the filling was edamame paste. I took one bite and had to spit it out. It was terrible. But Spencer ate his whole thing, with each bite he chanted to himself, "Practice for the mission! This is so good!" I think he'll be a great missionary if he can stomach that.
Later that day we took the whole family out to Namiki Gelato Farm. They have all sorts of flavors that you would never experience in the states, black sesame, melon (think cantaloupe), corn, cherry blossom, etc; as well as flavors you expect in the states, but that taste very different than what you get there: strawberry, grape, pineapple, cheese, milk, etc. The farm is a lovely place and everyone enjoyed their gelato and the swings/grounds.
Freshly mowed grass...
Abe wanted his picture taken with the cow bench.
From the Gelato farm we ventured to the Shichinohe castle grounds park. The site used to have a castle many years ago... but now it only has the foundation. It wasn't terribly exciting. But we found this awesome shrine/temple and some cool stuff to play on. I love these kids.
At many shrine/temple sites there are these token things that people can pay for and place at a shrine to offer a certain type of prayer. I think its so interesting and wish I knew more.
Race to the top! Ready, set, go!
They're all tougher than me, that's for sure!































1 comment:
The pictures are fantastic and the story even better. Loved Fisher and the grass. I'm with you as far as climbing the poles. Good for Eliza. Thank you for sharing. Love Mom
Post a Comment