The other day I knew we were out of our date budget money, so I had to think fast for a fun stay at home idea. I asked the kids if they wanted to help and they were just as eager as I was to create a romantic dinner for Ethan and me.
First things first, we had to come up with an awesome name. The boys thought this was easy, Three Brothers Restaurant, Three Brothers Romantic Dinner... and finally...

Jonas made the door sign to greet the guests. Bryant was named chef and created a menu. On the menu: Appetizer: Hot & Sour Soup; Dinner: Honey Mustard Chicken, fried rice, & sweet potato; Dessert: Pineapple Surprise.

Jonas and Levi were the waiters. They started out wearing fancy clothes and changed to something much more relaxed. When I said to Jo that I liked the fancy clothes better, he said, "What? This is how the waiters dress at Denny's." He ended up going for the middle ground.

The guest of honor. He was surprised. He thought it was a little silly, but super fun. And the food was delicious. Especially the yummy Pineapple Surprise.

I used to do this for my parents when I was a kid and I always loved doing it. Ethan asked who's idea it was then and I said, "probably mine." I just like doing silly romantic things. We haven't had a candlelit dinner in ages and it was just awesome. The kids all ate upstairs and then watched a movie. Bryant got to "babysit" he was so proud of himself. The restaurant lasted a few days more, but we never quite captured the magic of that first fateful night. :)
6 comments:
That is really, really cute! And what a great example you are setting for your kids-- that they know how important it is for parents to nurture their relationship with each other. My kids would love this too, thanks for the great idea!
i love it! what a fun way to get the kids involved and let them see how important "keeping the love alive" :) is for mom and dad. great idea!
Dad & I loved it too! It was always one of our favorite special occassions. I think that your chef and waiters are some of the best looking chef & waiters I have ever seen. I hope that Ethan felt like he was special to be treated to such a wonderful experience. Did you cook the meal? If so I want your receipes.
Love Mom
Ahhhh... the fun continues! What will they think up next? I just don't know, but I would like to borrow some brain cells!
The menu...yum!
Love, JTMIL
How fun! My brothers and sisters and i used to have restaurants all the time while growing up. I've been waiting for the kids to be older to do it, but you've proved they don't need to be.
it's GOOD silly! Love it~ I love the Denny's bit too! It's good for your kids to be involved in that sort of thing. Kim you're fabulous!
Post a Comment