Thursday, January 07, 2010

Happy Birthday to our Savior

Ethan's family had a fun tradition while growing up where they would have a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas Eve. We decided that we wanted to start up the tradition again with our own little family, so we had cake and ice cream on the Sunday after Christmas. It was sweet to make our holiday a little longer. We talked a little about the gifts we can give Him and sang "Away in a Manger." Then everyone got to blow out the candles together.

I'm excited to continue with this tradition for many years to come, it makes it more like an actual celebration for His birth rather than just about the presents everyone gets.

7 comments:

gaye said...

I love your little family and I get to smile and giggle. It is a joy to me to read your blog and see how the kids are growing. You and Ethan are such good parents. Love you all and keep the blogging up!!!

Vause Family said...

Love it! Charlie sang happy birthday to Jesus, but a cake would have fit the bill.

Lori said...

that's an awesome tradition!

Deanna Bevan said...

We do the Jesus birthday cake too. My family started this when I was little and now I'm carrying it on for our boys. We sing and blow out candles - the whole sha-bang!

Erin said...

CUTE!... ok, so I don't remember that tradition AT ALL.. I think by the time I came around the family was sick of traditions or something cause I've never done that.. BUT I do like it a lot :) Your little fam is the cutest!

Grandma Hoss said...

That is a fantastic idea! I think that dad & and will do that too. It really does make the holiday His birthday. Thanks for sharing.

I love the pictures. The cake looks great.

Love you all tons. Mom

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Sweet! We did it with Dianne's help. I have SO simplified Christmas the last ...what? decade? I wonder if I will EVER get a life. And have time for the extras? Does this sound like another whine? possibly. :) but it is a happy whine because YOU POSTED!!! love, Jtmil