Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Baby Name Brainstorm

Do you remember when you were in Elementary school and you first learned about brainstorming? I do. It was such a fabulous skill to learn at such an early stage. I love "piggy backing" ideas and "no idea is a bad idea, so write everything down." Its a skill that has seen me through many decisions in my time, including the naming of all of our children. I'm kind of weird about baby naming, I'm very methodical about choosing something (though we never have a name chosen until they are born). We start with a big brainstorm, we eliminate from and add to that list for quite a while and then once its down to 30 or so names Ethan and I generally choose our top 5-10 names (depending on where we are in the process) and the names that occur on both lists become our new list. We'll add to it if we think of something that we really love, but we usually go to the hospital with 5-8 names that we both like. We've never had the problem of not being able to agree on a name... our problem is usually we can't narrow down the names we do agree on.

Anyhow, I thought it would be fun to share the process (or at least some of it) with y'all. This weekend (January 17, 2010 to be exact) we held our first big Baby Name Brainstorm and had help from all the boys. It was fun to include them in it. Be forewarned the lists are LONG and there are some ridiculous names included because "no idea is a bad idea" when you're brainstorming. :) See if you can find some of the pathways we followed while piggy backing ideas (keeping in mind that there were 5 of us creating the list, so there may be a crazy one in the middle of some free associations). Oh and please pardon my spelling I realize there are many ways to spell different names and I was just trying to be as quick as possible in writing this up.
eta: I spent extra time and energy to have it formatted into two "columns" and when I published, blogger undid it all so you get one small gap between the names on each row. argh! Boys were done first, then girls, the lists aren't played off one another.

BOYS GIRLS

Larry Alice

Gary Selena

Malcolm Seline

Gene Cecily

Boston Camilla

Brigham Camilla

Bolton Cruella

Gibson Ursula

Matthew Ariel

Mark Mandy

Luke Amanda

John Bethany

Paul Terra

Simon Tricia

Oliver Patricia

Charles Teisha

Henry Alisha

Chad Sasha

William McKenzie

Walter McKenna

Wallace Jenna

Oscar Mikayla

Earnest Brittany

Patrick Deirdre

Adam Ellen

Sid Helen

Max Genevieve

Marcus Erica

Michael Kimberly

Kevin Ethel

Carl Beth'el

David Andrea

Jonathon Veronica

Fredrick Claire

Louis Clara

Parker Jessica

Carer Tracy

Sundiata Amy

Jack Lisa

Andre Nichole

Ronald Heather

Jeremy Danielle

Daniel Kari

Andrew Carol

Jared Katie

Jaron Adrienne

Jason Kathryn

Jacob Caroline

Justin Elizabeth

Jerome Mary

Trevor Michelle

Christopher Sarah

Koby Anne

Gordon Francis

Benjamin Gwen

Eric Carly

Taylor Emma

Shayne Hannah

Tyson Emily

Tyce Sidney

Tyreek Irina

Terrence Nadia

Rex Elana

Terry Ayla

Telly Sonia

Grover Daphne

Bob Josie

Kermit Martha

Lex Bertha

Lester Eloise

Maurice Louise

Dennis Ruby

Adrian Charlene

Dominic Norma

Lance Nora

AJ Gabriella

Jordan Abigail

Josh Marian

Justice AnnaBeth

Clancy Sloan

Lucas Audra

George Audrey

Phineas Maren

Landon Aubrey

Garrett Jane

Noah Roxanne

Porter Idonna

Parley Marie

Phillip Rosanne

Ralph Rosalie

Thomas Sabriel

Spencer Melissa

Bartholomew Alyssa

Kent Sadie

Clark Vanessa

Glenn Valerie

Conner Valentine

Brandon Virginia

Mack Petra

Leroy Clariece

Rudolph Ariana

Diego Alexia

Richard Callie

Raymond Carla

Brad Ella

Quinn Giselle

Hugo Gillian

Harry Jillian

Luther Laura

Cooper Lauren

Cole Greta

Bryan Laurie

Peter Ashley

Percy Bianca

Pedro Breck

Xavier Brooklyn

Kurt Camio

Logan Sophie

Corbin Sandra

Dallin Cassie

Dillon Jean

Hyrum Aurora

James Tabitha

Dixon Marcie

Vaughn Shari

Reginald Sherry

Kaliel Amara

Robin Jodie

Alvin Zoey

Calvin Isi

Theodore Ani

Frank Eudora

Abraham Delilah

Harrison Miriam

Martin Debra

Owen Joni

Ewan Ruth

Evan Gretchen

Whew! That was a lot of names to type! If you made it this far, you get a gold star. In a couple months I'll probably update this list on the blog for y'all to see. Rest assured it will be much, much smaller by then (and we may know if we need girl or boy names). We'd love to see your additions to our list!

17 comments:

Cali said...

Aha! I see my name made the list!:) What a fun way to come up with names. I love that it is a tradition for your family to do it this way, and that your other kids got to help this time around. I'm lazy and use the site nymbler.com--it brainstorms for you. But your way sounds much more fun--I love it!

Carrie said...

Hey, my name made the list, too! I love the, "Matthew, Mark, Luke..." I can't wait to see what you guys narrow it down to in a while!

aLi said...

ooh, I pick Ernest or Ursula. They have nice rings to them. :)
How fun to play the naming game again!

Grandma Hoss said...

I choose Elizabeth. Your dad's name made the list and that is kind of fun. Can't wait to see a smaller list. And I am excited to know whether we should be looking for a boy or girl name.

Love you tons. Mom

Vause Family said...

My vote is for Sundiata.

Devin & Amanda said...

Wow... That was quite a list. Good luck with that. All of your kids have such cute names, that I am sure this one won't be the exception!

kate said...

well, since you already used my all-time favorite girl's name, you can't go wrong now. (my brother used it so i didn't get to.) i will have to check back here next time i'm naming a kiddo. great list!

Jeni said...

Ali! We're so same! I pick Ursula, too! or David. Ursula or David.
Too funny and exciting, Kim.

Christa said...

That sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky that you agree on names...We always go to the hospital with two very different names that we CANNOT agree on. It usually comes down to a deal. Like with Bethany if she had been born blond her name would have been Shannon (which I never liked) but lucky for me that kid came with BLACK hair and brown eyes...so I won!

Lori said...

i'm all about Phineas. :) I love that show.

Anonymous said...

holy cow! thats a lot of names!! I wish you knew what you were having! but the fun part is you have boy & girlie stuff!! LOVE claire or jane for a girl! & for a boy...boston, brigham, oliver, or henry. you have your work cut out for you!!!

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

I think you covered it! I am SO GLAD my favorite names are on the list!!! Tyreek and Wallace. You can't go wrong with either of those!!!

Now for the girl... hmmm, I think that Sundiata would make an interesting girl's name. Call her Sunny or Sundi, or Di, or Iata, or Tuh. lol.

You ARE fun!!! love, JTMIL

Josie said...

ya good luck with that! I'll be excited to see your shorter list in awhile. Then I'll cast my vote :)

Kalynne said...

I love the kids contributions!!! I can just see little Cruella, Ursula, or Kermit crawling around..hahahaha.

Kim-the-girl said...

Actually, KK, those names were ALL contributed by the biggest kid of the house, ETHAN! He's so funny.

Adrienne said...

I like Ruby, Nora, Miriam, Marian, Ella, and Helen. Please don't use Eudora because we were thinking about a little "Dory" (if we do that again, anyway). Have you considered Lafawnduh? I also like Malcolm, Wallace (though Wallace Woodbury would be a bit much), Earnest (LOL, very important), Garrett, Conner, oh, I don't know-have a girl, those names were easier to pick!

Love you tons!