Wednesday, January 13, 2010

2010: My Goals

I decided to follow many of your examples and record some of my goals on the blog as a means of accountability. They are:
  • Figure out (and live by) a budget system that works for our family (any suggestions?). We do well at living within our means, I'm just really bad at making the most of my money.
  • Call, send a card, or blog birthday greetings to all my nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, in-laws, and parents.
  • Organize my life and home. I'm auditioning a schedule this month of some chores that really build up at our house (recycle center, laundry, grocery shopping, etc.). I'm hoping to get my kids involved too. I just don't know yet, the best way to do it (again, I'll ask, any suggestions?). I'm going to follow along with the 2010 New Year's Cleaning Grand Plan Challenge as well.
  • Read at least one new book per month. Blog about it.
  • Craft at least one project per month. Blog about it.
  • Hand write a letter to someone I love and mail it each week.
Along with this I'm currently doing a Healthy Family Challenge with my siblings/parents so that includes a lot of physical and spiritual fitness goals. Hopefully I'm building good habits for when the challenge is over.

Our family also has lots to look forward to this year as well. Some highlights of the fun we're planning on:
  • Levi being a Sunbeam!
  • Going to visit our families in March for Spring Break! I can hardly stand it I'm so excited to see them!!!!
  • Welcoming baby #5 to the family this summer! I've got to get started on making baby names lists...
  • Jonas starting Kindergarten! Wow! These kids grow up fast!
  • Taking a trip to Disneyland as a family and meeting up with my brother and his family and my parents! YAY!!!
  • Hopefully visiting family again at Christmas!
  • Finding out where our next adventure will lead us summer 2011!
So much ahead of us its going to be a fabulous, fabulous year!

21 comments:

Laurie said...

Thanks for all your fun comments on my blog!! Sounds like you have big plans this year and lots of fun. I intrigued by the cleaning Grand Plan Challenge, I will have to check it out. I didn't make a single resolution this year, mostly because I don't want to think about all the things I can do better! Beyond daily goals of scriptures and getting the kitchen clean before I go to bed, I have nothing. Two weeks into January isn't too late, right? I know I have plenty I can work on. Organization would be a major one. Thanks for all the good ideas!

gaye said...

Wow, I thought you were just going say "survive being pregnant with and having baby #5." You are awesome.

My goal as stated: To eat More!!!
fruits and vegetables.

I am trying not to be negative by saying to diet

Love ya Kim.

Beckstrand's said...

Wow, I am impressed by your goals. It makes my get up and get to work on time seem so miniscule (spelling?) I love reading your blog. I can't believe Jonas is going to school already.

Josie said...

Wow Kim! Those are some impressive goals. I'm just sticking to one- keeping my house clean!

Terra said...

That's a lot of goals and a lot of fun for this year--good luck! I'm excited to see baby #5 too.

Jones said...

baby #5?! oh my goodness I am SO happy for you! I think those are some good goals. I need to figure some kind of chore list for my kids, particularly madeline. It's been SO hard lately getting her to keep her clothes put away and room clean. I'm ready to go in there tomorrow during school and clean out the whole room, clothes AND toys!

blog updates on how your goals are going, I'd love to get some more ideas from you!

kate said...

really great goals. i am looking forward to your book reviews because i would like to read more too. i have a hard time with the budget thing too, my goal is to not buy anything this year that i don't just LOVE. for me, the girls, the house, etc. hopefully i'll end up with less cheap broken stuff and more money. :) i wish you the best with your resolutions!

Vause Family said...

I really want to know where you will be in 2011, too! It doesn't seem that far off. Good luck in keeping to your goals. Send some good names my way. I'm stuck!

Carrie said...

Wow! That's quite a list. We're the same way with our budgeting. It's pretty easy to live within your means when you're used to living off of close to nothing, but it's not easy tracking where all the money goes and how best to use it.

I'm so glad you're going to Disneyland! That's exciting!

Lori said...

looks like a mighty fine year. can't wait to hear how it plays out!

jaylee has helped me with chores since she was 4. now she's pretty independent with her "duties" and actually does a good job. anyway, email me if want some ideas. i would have no clue how to do it with 3 kids old enough but i can tell you how i've done it with one. :) hee hee.

Erin said...

WOW.. Something I have always admired about you is that you are so ambitious! :).. good luck with all your awesome goals! You're the best!.. (and I can't wait for March!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Sounds good. We implemented a new budget system this year and it took a couple months to adjust to, but I now love it. Good Luck you gotta go with what works for the way you think about money...my siblings think I'm nuts but its working so well we've saved enough to take a 10 day trip to SoCal this year too. When are you going to be in Disney? We are going late April and I can't wait!
Do you know if your having a boy or a girl this time around? Names are so hard for us I don't envy that goal, but the new baby will be so exciting. I hope you have a great year. And if you get any great organizing ideas please blog those...I'm the least organized person I know but I'm trying to get better so any tips you find pass along please.

Grandma Hoss said...

Kim you are miss Organization. You got that from your dad. All of your goals sound awsome. I too can't wait for March & September.

Love you tons. Mom

Cali said...

Wow-ambitious! You are inspiring. I would love to get us on a better budget, too. But I have no suggestions--though I love to hear what works for you! Also with the chores...we've got to get something worked out for those!

Cali said...

Oh, yeah--are you guys staying in the Air Force? Just wondered...

Liz said...

Wow! Baby #5. Congratulations! Good luck with your goals for this year. I know I'm going to need it for mine.

Travis and Heather said...

OH my heck. I got tired just reading your goals. I think your amazing. I think without any of those goals you are still a straight shoe in, front of the line, flash pass into the highest kindgdom. But hey, good for you for going for the double flash pass up to the pearly gates.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

That just reminded me....I haven't written down my goals. I think it's because I've been focusing on the BIG goal. LOVE MY GRANDKIDS!!!

Nah, that's not a goal. That's an actuality. And what are you going to do in your spare time? REST, I hope!!!

You are the BEST, Miss Kimily!!! We CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!! love, JTMIL

Duane + Lisa said...

Wow!! You make me feel like a sluggard. Way to inspire the rest of us. Hope that we are the family you wrote about visiting at Christmas time!!! We had such a FUN time with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to get together more than just a Christmastime,though.
Lisa TMILS

Cam said...

I'm excited to look over this cleaning grand plan challenge, sounds like an interesting idea. I saw that you added that Peter Walsh book to your list. I put it on hold for the library and just got a notice that it's ready. I can't wait to read it! Did you see him recently on the Oprah show? Everything he said made so much sense, and my biggest goal right now is to focus on experiences and family, rather than stuff. I'm starting a vacation fund! Those are full of great experiences!
Which reminds me, when are you hoping to make it to Disneyland? I've been doing odd jobs to save up enough money to go and I just exceeded my saving goal last week- so I'm hoping Kevin will be able to take the time off from his new job so we can go. We'll see! But we're hoping for April.
And good luck with your budget. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Dave Ramsey's plan in the "Total Money Makeover." That's the plan we're trying to follow right now- and it makes SO much sense. He is very conservative (we probably won't wait until we have enough money to buy a house with cash)- but I think he has a great plan set up.
Anyways, good luck with all of your goals! I guess I should make some for 2010, hopefully it's not too late....
Cam

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

I am SO laughing at Lisa's signature!!! Is she brilliant or what??!!??!! Love that girl!!

And Y'alls!!! I just had to check in and say "HI!!!" love, Jane the sister to Lisa tmils