Thursday, January 29, 2009

What do you get?

Thanks to the confidence and tips of friends, I was brave enough to pull Eliza's hair into pigtails.  It looked so cute for church!  
So what do you get when you take cute pigtails out?
A bad hair day.

I know we've had an easy winter compared to many of you.  However, the past day or two has tried to make up for that... what do you get when you have freezing temperatures and precipitation?

A bunch of ice.

Ethan usually parks on the driveway, but last night I told him he should move it into the garage.  When I tried to move the van, the battery was dead, so we had a fun adventure pushing it out, jump starting it and then moving both cars into the garage.  The ice was so thick and solid on his windshield and windows I couldn't scrape it.  We got a thin covering of slate/snow on top of the ice just so I could write a message to my honey.  :)


What do you get when you have roads so treacherous to drive on they cancel school?

A bored kindergartner bugging you to let him have the computer all day.  (In fact, school was cancelled yesterday and again today.  He is currently sitting beside me watching my every move eagerly waiting for "his turn.")
You also get happy little boys who get to play with their brother and a happy mom who doesn't have wake up early to get to the bus!
And finally, you get to spend a day with the man you love because the AFB has been closed too. (although he had to go back today)

I know they pictures of the ice aren't that impressive, but trust me it is plenty cold out there and slippery.  I talked to Ethan around 9:35 this morning to make sure he made it work OK (he left around 8:40) he still wasn't to work, but very close.  It usually takes him about 15 minutes, but there was so much traffic it took him at least an hour.  The traffic was due to the base being closed until 9 this morning, so everyone was coming in at that time and the ice on the roads.  
Crazy!
Luckily, winter doesn't stick around too long and we should see at least 50 degrees today!  We'll be back in shorts and bare feet in no time (who am I kidding, these boys were in shorts and bare feet yesterday).

11 comments:

kate said...

cute little piggy tails! i love it! hope the weather turns friendly again soon.

aLi said...

That was a fun post! I'm sorry about the ice... we had a couple big ice storms last year so I know how scary they are.
Eliza is adorable with pigtails!!!

Jeni said...

Oh I just loved this post...so cute the whole way through. I wish our school and work would get canceled. I'm curious...was your mail delivered during these days?

Anonymous said...

I loved the post. Eliza looks so cute in her pigtails. And I really loved what you get afterwards. Sounds like you were having fun having everyone home. Too bad Ethan had to go back before Bryant. Are you all back to normal now?

I love you tons.

Mom Holliday

Kalynne said...

Hey Kim, I was thinking about you today. Have you heard about the new law that is passing in Feb that you can't sell anything kid related without first testing it for lead??? I thought of you and your Etsy shop with the cute kids things you make. I sure hope the law doesn't go through!

Liz said...

I love the pigtails! And I love days that school gets cancelled (and we had four of them during the first week of school)!

Your kids are as cute as ever.

JandS Morgan said...

I've heard TX can get some fun ice storms. Seems like the whole country is lately. Love the pigtails. I put them in Fefe's hair again today and everywhere I went people were ooing and aahing. I enjoyed that.

Arritt said...

Yuck- Ice is scary!
So, Kollan was hoping for a snow day yesterday because of the awful weather, but instead they said that everyone who lives off base had late reporting (10am) and everyone on base had to be on time (7:30). The way this worked out was like punishment for Kollan: He lives on base (had to be on time) and his 1 tech (he's supposed to have 2, but only has 1) lives off base and could be late. That leaves Kollan with a full booked schedule to work alone! Sorry for venting, but sometimes I think the AF isn't always helping him out- maybe there's nothing they could have done- I don't know?
Anyway, I love your creative posts and Eliza looks super cute!

Allison said...

I hope the ice is gone now. I know what that is like, freezing rain is not fun. And those pigtails are adorable!

Anonymous said...

I need a girl..I need pigtails in my life! Thanks for forfilling taht need:) Shes darling! Although ice is no fun & super scary...thats so fun you all had some cozy time together! I love snow days..I get Tre all to myself:) Thanks for all the colic advice Im going to go buy some gripe water tomorrow! ILL TRY ANYTHING & EVERYTHING!
Rod sends to ethan- "rides his donkey with his funky monkey."

(yeah..I have no idea either. guys are weird! haha, but imglad they had each other in hot alabama.)

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

#1 That baby girl is gorgeous with pigtails and after pigtails!!
#2 Holy Ice Storm!! I wouldn't mind a day or two off school. I WOULD mind having to make it up later, though.
#3 Boy, you sure got some cute kids!

love, JTM