Friday, August 15, 2014

Yellowstone Family Vacation 2014

I normally would share this many pictures over several posts, but honestly, I don't think anyone is looking at the blog anymore (besides you dear moms, thanks for the comments!), so I'm not going to worry about it. :)  

Our trip to Yellowstone was just so much fun!  Words just won't satisfy how awesome it was.  These pictures are just a sampling (albeit a large sample) of the fun we had and the people we adore so much.

We definitely have to plan another trip like this sometime soon.  It was kind of a hassle in some ways, but the memories we made and the kids made will be cherished by our family forever.  

When we were setting up camp, we had to keep this  baby entertained, looks like Grandpa's truck was just the thing we needed!  He looks quite entertained.

Love this sister of mine.



These girls, Kari, and I walked down to the lake and tried to find some rocks for keeping around the fire to keep us warm.  We didn't have much success on our hunt, but we had fun.

And I learned that if you take a picture of Claire, she's going to ask you to show it to her... and then she's going to ask you to take lots more pictures of her.



Sitting around the campfire is always fun.  Funny story, we bought Bolton some new shoes on our way to the park... he got them a tad too close to that fire and the tips of them are now totally melted.  Awesome, good thing we got an awesome deal on them! I'd have been mad if we'd paid regular price for Sketchers.


The next morning we headed to Old Faithful, prepped for a downpour.







These three girls were happy to be reunited.  Its kind of weird to not be the only family outside of Utah anymore.  So glad Dave, Adrienne and the kids could come!

Oooh, but look! There's some blue sky peeking out!  FYI, as you can see below, Ethan had the camera at this point, and I was using my phone.  I haven't edited the phone photos at all, so hopefully they're not too terrible to look at.

Waiting for the big moment, we were quite a site to see!



And, right on schedule, the eruption was exciting to see!

It was my cute brother Davey's birthday, so we all sang to him while we waited.  Happy birthday, brother.

Richy took the first of many opportunities to relieve Ethan and me from the terrorizing Abee Baby.



We decided to walk around the whole Geyser Hill, we weren't disappointed.  What an amazing location this is.  I told Ethan I felt like we were so close to the creation of the world with the steam all around us everywhere.

 I can't remember the name of this geyser that was going on while we walked along the boardwalk.  It was fun to see all those kids gathered around Grandma.  Richy almost looks like he could be one of the grandkids...


Nola and Paige were so fun to watch hang out together as well.  Families are just the best.  Built in friends who love you unconditionally, who could ask for more?


This geyser was called Sawmill or Sawblade, something like that.  It was really fun to watch, it just kept going and going and was kind of crazy in its flow.

Lincoln and Gavin are best buddies in Utah, I was so glad to see them embrace Levi.  These three were just peas in a pod.  They had a lot of fun playing together.



Exploring along the boardwalk took a long time, but we had lots of fun and lots of beautiful things to look at.

Sean tolerates the rest of us.  And we all adore him, isn't that right Richy?  Or maybe its just me that is being tolerated... "Seriously, another picture, Kimmy?"

Jonas thought he'd be a tough guy and take the baby off Dad's shoulders.

It didn't last too long, but not because he isn't tough, just check out how tough he is.

Abraham was pretty excited to get down, but he was making us all way too nervous.  Poor guy spent most of his time strapped to one of us.


Watching these big boys take Bolton along with them just made my heart all sorts of happy.  Something about teenage boys being sweet with little kids is just like magic.  Ethan and Dalton, you guys are awesome.

One of my favorite things I stumbled upon as we walked.  The sun was shining, but Heather was protecting her skin.  She looked a dainty lady from another century.  She is the best.

Sweet girls!!!

Castle Geyser was pretty awesome.


Next we headed to the Fountain Paint Pot tour.


I just love this picture with Ethan walking into the steam.

I know I've said it before, but you can bet you'll hear it again, outdoor vacations are the best with kids!!!


Skye is quite the character, most of the pictures I have of her she is pulling some silly face/position.  I was happy to catch her in a quiet moment, taking in the beauty.

I wish I remembered the name of each of these awesome locations... maybe someone in my family will add it in a comment?  Or perhaps I'll get my book out some time and re-look these things up.  But for now I just want to get the pictures here.



Jack and Eliza even connected!  That was one connection I didn't see coming, but it made me so happy!  They're only two weeks apart in age.  I wonder if she'll always tower over him...

Peek-a-Boo!


We were leading the cars one time and made a very quick stop to see this lovely waterfall.


When we got back to our campsite, we found we had visitors!  See Jonas on the right in the photo below?  He's standing right next to my parent's trailer.

Funny Davey.


Richy set up a wood chopping area, the big boys loved taking turns with the ax.  I have to admit, it made me more than a little nervous.

Eliza loved having little girls (and big girls) to run around with.  They brought me this lovely bouquet before dinner.

The bison just hung out all evening.  That's our van in the photo.  I'm glad that they stayed on that side of the road, I would have been a wreck if we'd been staying in those tents you see right by him...

While we were driving north we stopped to view the beautiful valley and had Ethan snap this quick one of my brothers and me.  I was pretty upset that Dennis didn't make the effort to be their with us, but I'm so thankful that the rest of us made it!  I'm so blessed.  I have such a great family.

And speaking of a great family, the leader of the pack, is pretty flippin' awesome.  It looks like these boys really think so too.

While we tried to set up for this photo, we saw a whole bunch of people counting all the kids.  Its really funny to me how some tourists will just nonchalantly (and sometimes totally chalantly (is that a word?)) take pictures of our kids... Sean carried his tripod with him through a lot of the hikes and walks we did and it proved worthwhile.

My parents and all 20 grandkids... one more will  be joining the ranks next month!!!


Tower Fall

We were bummed that we couldn't get to the bottom of the falls, due to a closed trail, but we had fun watching the river.










Ethan wondered if this was sulfur...Anyone know?


Upper Falls overlook.



We were going to hike down to the viewing area of Upper Falls, but a big storm rolled in right when we got there, so we headed to the Lower Falls viewing area instead.

As you can see, it was cold and wet.  There was someone there set up with their easel and creating a lovely painting through the storm and all.  They had a canvas sheet draped over themselves and their painting.




Our next stop was Sulfur Cauldron.  Eliza wasn't too impressed with the smell.


And then across the road we visited the Mud Volcano area.




I was halfway through this tour when I realized that I hadn't seen Jonas in a while.  So I started looking for him, asking everyone, and then I sent Ethan to finish the loop while I ran back the opposite direction to find him.  When I got to the parking lot I saw my parents and they didn't have him, but a few minutes later they spotted him in Dave and Adrienne's van.  Apparently he decided he wasn't going to get out, though he neglected to tell anyone besides Bryant.  And when I asked him why he was in there he said that "the doors were locked."  So, I guess my 9 year old is unable to get out of a locked vehicle if necessary.  We ran up to see the volcano and the dragon's breath cauldron.  Lucy totally photo bombed us.


Ethan and I drove all around exploring the campsites near us on our way back to camp... while passing the lake we were treated to this lovely.

And when we got back to camp, we were greeted by these lovelies.  Silly girls.  I sure love all my sweet nieces (and nephews, too, of course).

 That night I tried teaching kids how to make paracord bracelets in my parent's trailer.  It didn't go quite as smoothly as I'd hoped.  Luckily, Kari, Paige and Nola picked it up quickly and were able to teach the other kids or do it for them.  It made for a fun little souvenir from our trip (and it didn't cost a fortune, either!).


 Saturday morning we got up and packed up our family's campsite, rather, Ethan packed up our site while I made bracelets and taught kids all morning.  The rest of the crew was staying until Sunday, so they were kind enough to help and to be patient while we took care of business.

Then we hit boardwalk again... actually we had a detour to the bathroom while it down poured.  Half of us went to the bathroom in a gift shop and there was a line super long for the women.  Lucy got distracted looking at stuff and didn't stay with us in line, the ladies between us and her could have cared less when I made it totally known that she was with us, not one person offered to let her go ahead of them to join us.  So we got to wait even longer.  But eventually we got out of there and got to our destination.

First we visited Black Sand Basin, (I think-correct me if I'm wrong, dear family).
 




Our next stop was Biscuit Basin.  It really is amazing how the Lord created such an amazing world for us to live in.



At the end of the boardwalk there is a trail to Mysitc Falls.  We were trying to hit the road back to Utah, but decided this was one of the few things that we had planned on doing the whole trip and we would stay long enough to do the trail up to the falls and then hit the road.  We are so glad we did!!!  It was such a lovely trail and gorgeous waterfall.  Bolton and Eliza stayed behind with Adrienne and my parents.  So it was just the big boys, the baby and Ethan and me.



The photos here are so not even close to capturing the beauty of this fall.  Its name comes from this lovely mist sneaking out the top of the fall so it looks quite mystical.  Turning the corner to where we could finally see the fall was just like we stepped into a fairy world.







As we walked back down to the car, this chipmunk caught our attention.  We were watching her and then she just started coming toward Levi.  He had a bag of chips and he was sure she was coming after his chips! It was pretty hilarious!  Lucky for us, I got it all on video, even Levi's little girl screams. :)

It was a spectacular way to end a spectacular family vacation!  We can hardly wait for the next one!

7 comments:

Sean said...

I posted all of my pictures to google drive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwt24D4Q_zrxQmFtMGo5bG9fcG8&usp=sharing

Joni said...

I still read your blog, I'm just not a great commenter. I never have anything wonderful and insightful to say. So I will just say - what a fun vacation and what an awesome family that I used to know! Glad you had the opportunity to all be together.

P.S. Who is having another baby?

Grandma Hoss said...

First of all I am soooooo thankful that you blog. I lovvveedd all of the pictures and to tale. The trip was a great success! Dad and I loved every minute of it.

Second to Joni, you are part ours. We love you and I was happy to see your comment. Adrienne is the one having our 21st grandchild. She is having a boy, the due date is September 11, but she might come sooner.

Love you all tons. Mom

Grandma Hoss said...

I should have read the comment before posting it. It should be your blog, and the tale. OOPS!!!
Love you. Mom

Grandma Hoss said...

I just looked at the pictures once more and had to say thank you one more time. Such fond memories. You are wonderful. Love Mom

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, LOVE, etc. etc. I wanted to click LIKE on each picture, but the button was missing!

Truly, these memories are treasures for eternity!!! What a blessed family. What sweet moments. Thanks for sharing.

Jane

Cam said...

I read your blog, I've just been a horrible commenter. This looks like such a fun vacation, and even more fun when you can be with family. I think my kids would make Yellowstone miserable unless we were with friends or cousins. We will have to try it out one of these days. Pretty amazing to think about the earth's creation when you're in a place like that.