Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Specialists"

What is the deal with doctors?! I am very happy with our pediatrician here. I think he is very well educated. I feel like he actually cares about what is best for my kids-even if he doesn't he does a good job of faking it. He answers all my questions and makes me feel like a good mom who is well educated as well. This is not the case with all doctors. I think that because we're in a smaller area, we kind of get the shaft on "specialists." Because they are the only ones in town, we go to them no matter what kind of crappy care we get. I finally got the results from Bryant's food allergy test. I talked with the gal at the Doctor's office today and unfortunately, I'm not too happy with the way it all went. It probably isn't as bad as I feel, but I'm erked right now, so sorry you have to hear me rant.

The whole reason I wanted to go to the allergist was for food allergies. I knew he had some problems and wanted to know what else he was allergic to, in order to see if we could help him feel better in general. When I spoke with the doctor (for the entire 5 minutes we were graced with his presence) he assured me that a full panel of environmental allergens as well as a full panel of food allergens would be run. They were going to run the skin prick test on his back for both.

The day of testing they said that the doctor doesn't do the skin prick test for food any more. I expressed my concern that I really wanted him tested for food. So, she went and talked to him and that's when he said they would run the test on his blood. I then expressed that when he was tested before it was a blood test and they only ran a few allergens, I was reassured that it would be full panel. I was fine with that.

Well, today I learned that they only tested for a few things (OK, like 20) BUT they didn't even include walnuts, pecans, or cashews which we knew he had a problem with before. I wanted to know if he was still allergic to them and if so how severe it is. I'm not going to just give him one to see how he does with it, last time he had one, he swelled up so fast I was terrified. So, she said she'll ask the doctor if they can prick his skin for those few when we come in for his allergy shots.

Of the things they tested him for, he is still allergic to milk. He's also allergic to beef, which we were unaware of. Now we just have to cut it out and then reintroduce it to see what kind of reaction he has.

He is allergic to several environmental allergens. They want to start him on injections but I don't know how I feel about it. I don't feel like they care at all about my son, I think they just push numbers or whatever. What do you think I should do? Any advice? If its not what's best for him, then I don't want to waste my time or theirs (actually I don't care too much about their time at this point) but its a big commitment. Twice a week for 2 1/2 weeks then once a week for 5 weeks, then back to twice a week, etc. Any experience you have had I would love to hear! Thanks!

14 comments:

Jeni said...

I think you should ALWAYS get more than one opinion, and I also believe in mother's instincts.

Misty said...

As a parent, if you aren't sure, get a second opinion! So many times the second opinion has been one that works so much better in our family. On the other hand, Jared did immunotherapy (shots to make him not allergic anymore) for six years and it has changed his life for the better. Food allergies are the worst, sorry you get to deal with that. Good Luck!

Bryner Family said...

Yikes. I wouldn't want to have him go through that unless that were the last option. Surely there's at least one other specialist here for a second opinion, right? I get annoyed when drs don't really "listen" to what you're saying. I think sometimes they get in their routine of how to handle patients and don't really see us as separate patients! Good luck. :)

Cam said...

How frustrating- especially after the poor kid was pricked so many times! I would get at least one more opinion before doing the injections.

Shiree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shiree said...

Kim, I am going to share a natural health perspective for you. You can think I'm crazy, if you wish. :)

Have you ever heard of candida albicans? It is basically a yeast overgrowth in your body. If you have it, it can cause food allergies, or other allergies. So, treating candida can get rid of some allergies. Some may be genetic, but if the allergies were caused by yeast overgrowth, then they can be taken care of by treating the yeast. There are a number of other symptoms that it can cause, as well. I wonder what problems you are noting with your son's health (sorry, can't remember his name right now!!)?

I was treated for candida and noticed a pretty big difference in my overall health afterwards.

Has your son used antibiotics frequently? Antiobiotic use is a major cause of candida. Once your body has this overgrowth, you have to take some pretty specific steps to rid your body of it. But it is so worth it.

If you have any questions or wonder where you can go to get tested for candida then I would LOVE to help you out. I am maybe a bit crazy, but I just think that far too many people have this problem and don't even know it! So, there's a different perspective for you....

Love you!

aLi said...

I agree with Jeni. And that was very interesting what Misty said. I did not know that about JAred.

My heart goes out for you. Good luck with the "specialist." He must be a special one.

Terra said...

I would get a 2nd opinion too. i have tons of allergies and i really don't do anything about them, except for my emergency inhaler. mine aren't severe though. i would just have him avoid the bad ones as much as you can and hopefully he'll grow out of a lot of them. medications make me nervous, but maybe they'd be good for him.

Carrie said...

I would go somewhere else. Someone once told me when I was pregnant (or maybe I read it somewhere) to remember that we are paying customers, and to not just bow to the doctor and let them do what they want. You deserve to go somewhere where Bryant can get the care that he deserves, and where you can have someone who is willing to really communicate with you and listen to you. Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of the others. A 2nd opinion is always good. You will need to let me know what you find out from Shiree. I would be interested in seeing if that is why Sean & I have a ton of allergies. Doesn't your husband have a lot of allergies as well. I love you tons.

Mom

Dave & Karissa Hardman said...

That is rough stuff Kim.I am so sorry. I think a mother's instinct is best too - If you think he is alergic to the nuts you listed, then eliminate them and reintroduce them slowly one by one - maybe conduct your own at-home medical analysis and keep a journal about how he does.

JandS Morgan said...

That is so maddening. It is amazing sometimes the degree we have to go to be advocates for our kid's healthcare. It is hard too when you have to switch doctors when you move. Is there another specialist within 45 minutes? I'm willing to drive that far to get a good doc. From what I've heard the shots are easier to deal with when the kids are older, but are mostly worth it to deal with life threatening allergies. My BIL had severe cat, and other allergies. The shots lessened the severity, but he still has to take allergy medication at my mom's house (admittedly a fairly cat filthy house).

Travis and Heather said...

Wow Kim, Eliza is so beautiful. I hadn't glanced at a picture of her since her birth pictures. She is so sweet.
I also like to do the laundry!! That is the only chore where I get to sit, and the boys love to roll in it (gross I know)....but they love it so much it is hard to say no. And it is something Corbyn likes to help me with a lot. I think he will be mad when we don't have to pay quarters to wash our clothes (assuming that will someday happen).

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Totally agree with a Mother's Instinct! I would tell you to pray about it...but I also know some prayers take YEARS to be answered....and sometimes ya just gotta endure and make it through. Scott is still doing injections and is a new man from many years ago.

Just trust your feelings! LOVE!!! JTM