Thursday, October 02, 2008

B. B. BOE R. R. RNE

I finally returned to a town I lived in 17 years ago. We visited some of my old stomping grounds. This post is mostly for my family as a trip down memory lane. Let the slideshow begin....



A Hawaiian Shaved Ice stand right next to the river in Boerne TX. Just across the street is a parking lot where I had my first job; working in a shaved ice stand. I made $2 an hour, and all the shaved ice I could eat. I also read "Dances with Wolves" in that stand.


The Woody family in the middle of Cibolo Creek. Some nice old English lady in a sundress offered to take our photo. I remember coming here way back when and being amazed at the tree roots in the water.

We lived in the little white house on the right. So many memories... Eric getting stung by a scorpion in his pants, Floods coming down the dry wash in the back yard, Pigeons, B'ball in the road, and "All my Ex'es live in Texas" on the radio. Topper's "claw" and visits from Ron Kapp and the army men. You can't see it here, but the vacant lot next door now has a house in it. Whoops. Should've gotten a picture of that.





On the left is the pond at Tapatio where we would go hunting for golf balls. You may be able to see the dip in the road where the water would cross the road. We caught it on a dry day.


The tree in the middle of the road just in front of our old place on Roadrunner circle


Another tree in the middle of John's road on the way out to Tapatio.


We drove up the crazy steep hill to get this view of the development. You may be able to see that there are a few more houses there now.


A couple of axis deer. Probably grandchildren of the herd we knew.


The old estate. I think they chopped down the big tree out front, but the house is now covered with shrubbery, and a new garage door... or painted garage doors. It's hard to say.

Just a side note. I should have taken more pictures but I felt like I was invading other people's privacy. Sorry. These people now have neighbors, there are around 5 other homes in this cul de sac.

Random memories... Snorkeling in the creek and chasing perch, catching a turtle, finding a tarantula in the path of the riding lawnmower. YM/YW parties (lost in the desert, King Ooga Booga, King Rhino), the gopher snake we borrowed so I could get my reptile merit badge (which I never got), and exploring in the hill behind the mansion. Golf ball hunting, need I say more?





A view of the golf course from the country club parking lot.



Boerne Ward chapel. Actually it is now a stake center for the "Hill Country Stake" and houses 2 wards. 1st ward is east of the I-10 and 2nd ward is west of it. I ran into some folks in the 1st ward that have been there for 5 years. They told me all about it... They hadn't heard of me.


A bunch of good looking people


Really good looking people


I think they are doing some serious remodeling to the school. It looked like they weren't even holding classes.


There is, however, no stopping Texas High School football


Go Greyhounds, Go!


Mom, I think you might remember this little barrier at Boerne High School. Our poor van. It looks like you left your mark.



Home of the Pups. Now called Boerne Middle School North. This is apparently part of a vast empire of middle schools. It was only called Boerne Middle School when I went there.


Finally, a picture for Ali. Good old Fabra.

One last picture for Tom. Good times.

I had a great time experiencing the old places. It was fun to show my wife a bit of my life. It felt nice to be able to drive this time around. I wish I would have run into somebody I knew from way back when, but I was too chicken to call up anybody. Sorry Mom.

17 comments:

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

What a great trip down memory lane, or in the case, Road Runner Circle! So many great memories! I'll never forget the "Deep Fried Avocado's" at Margarita's! They were to die for! Thanks Ethan for these photos.

Love ya,

Dad

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Whew! These photos brought back amazing memories. Texas was like a big giant year long adventure/ vacation. We met so many wonderful people who were all so kind and generous to us. What a treat! Who would have guessed, Ethan, that you would be the first of our family to go back. Your family is beautiful! All of you look so good. I am so proud of how you are living your life and raising your family. Thanks so much for this amazing trip down a very special memory lane! Love, Momma J.

Cook with Tom said...

Yeah!! Margarita's.

I recall the joke was that someone of hispanic descent owned a middle eastern rug store, and a someone of middle eastern descent owned a mexican restaurant.

I think my official uniform was khaki pants with a pink polo shirt. Drop dead sexy!

Wow, the old city has changed a lot.

aLi said...

that was SO weird seeing things from so long ago. The picture of Fabra Elementary filled me with the old school smell and the smell of Texas. I got a really weird feeling when I saw that. Like I was 7 years old again. Thanks so much for taking pictures. That was just cool.

Kim and Brindy said...

Thanks Ethan, that was a lot of fun looking at those pictures. It brought back a lot of memories and emotions. It makes me want to go and visit myself. Good times...(i'm sighing on the inside, without words)

Kim

Anonymous said...

I know that this meant a lot to your family, but it was fun for me too. Your house in Texas looks like it was wonderful. How old were you when you lived there Ethan? Were all of the kids there? (Some high school, some Middle school and some Elementary school.) How long did you live there? Did you live in only the one place? Where is Boerne from where you live now?

Love you tons.

Mom Holliday (Grandma Hoss)

Jeni said...

Oh how fun! I loved working in that snow shack the summer I came to visit. I had a scorpion in my bed!
Remember Guadalupe River Ranch? Oh I loved that summer...I'm sighing on the inside too Eeeeffff. Thanks for the memories.

oh yeah...I remember bat guano (sp?) in the caves behind our house.

Cook with Tom said...

Remember the Chef Paula at Guadalupe? And the really strong herb growing dude... what was his name?

It was like a granola compound!

Cook with Tom said...

I meant HE was strong, and he happened to grow herbs... as opposed to having the uncanny ability to grow herbs with the ability to knock your socks off.

Jeni said...

I remember Asher...who was an islander...something about the owners of the ranch brought him home from a Peace Corp trip...Asher's parents gave him to the owners to come work there as a thank you?
And then there was Dan...the guy who sang "Starry Starry Night" and had big calves. :)
Wasn't chef Paula Rosella's daughter?

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Wow, I just gotta comment again. All ya'll got good memories! For Colleen: We lived there Aug 90 to Aug 91. (Scott went down in March of 90) Jeni tried to live with us, but they "didn't have her kind of music there" and she couldn't live where they didn't have her kind of music. She wasn't in to "Boogie in the Barnyard" back then! or ever, I think. So she stayed and attended WSC while living with Grandma and Grandpa Call. Boerne had 4 schools. Early elem., Fabra preschool to 1st grade, where Ali went, Boerne Elem. 2-5th grades where Kim and Eric went, Boerne Middle school where Ethan went, and the big high school were Dave and Tom attended.

Our first home was a rental, and when it sold, we moved out to the mansion on the 13th hole of the golf course. Such sweet, sweet memories of Texas. And all in only one year! Thanks to you kids for your comments. They brought back even more memories! love, Momma J

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

ps yes, Rosella's daughter worked there. I forgot that too! momma

Eric said...

I loved your post! It almost made me cry. I hated Texas when we first moved there, but I loved it when we left. I loved it so much, I was sent there on my mission. I could see the tree where I broke my arm after we made a zip line out of an old stick. I think our first home was cursed against me. I broke my arm, stepped into a pile of fire-ants, wrecked my bicycle,(i still have the scar to prove it) and ran around the house with my shorts below my knees as I was being attacked by a deadly scorpion. It was a defining moment in my life. I made those tighty-wighties look good. Oooooh the memories! Sara always asks me how I eat cold things so fast and I tell her, "It is because I worked at a snow shack when I was a kid."
Here are some other things I loved about Texas.
1. Football in the cul-de-sac. $1
2. Season pass to the Boerne swimming pool. $10
3. Boerne football games and cleaning the stands after. $2
4. Playing basketball with my dad, brothers and missionaries. $4
5. Catching a turtle. $50
6. Sharing one room with my brothers. $-3
7. Having a ice maker in our house. $85
8. One word- Bidet $99
9. The creation of Chapples. $3
10. Raccoons eating our food. $6
11. Looking at lightning out our windows. $4.50
12. Bonding with family. Priceless.

I was going to do the Priceless thing after Bidet, but I wanted for some people to cry.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information. It was fun to here where all the the kids went to school. And I really enjoyed Eric's comments.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

me, too! Eric...sniff, sniff, you said it all. Priceless. JTM

BeautyFul said...

Well I feel like I just stepped into memory book! How neat for you guys and all the comments made by the family. It was obviously a wonderful time!

I only knew the extended Woodbury family for a short time, but I sure grew to love you guys. Fun to peek in and see you all. (most of you probably don't even remember me, and that's okay)!

Sure miss you Kim and Ethan. It's been way too long since I've seen ya! Good to catch up with you in the blogging world! :)

-Kristina (Beckstrom) Wilcox

BeautyFul said...

Oh, and Tom, if you happen to see this... my mom tells me she ran into on one of her planes a while back! Crazy, eh?