Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Our San Antonio Trip Part 1

Our trip to San Antonio was just great! On our way there, we stopped in Boerne where Ethan's family used to live. We took a TON of pictures, but since Ethan is the one that has memories of it, I figure I'll let him post pictures of it.

We also stopped at the Woody's favorite BBQ joint. I've never really understood what the big deal was. I've had the sauce, it was OK... a little peppery for me actually and brisket is not that good. OK people, I'm eating my words. Brisket is that good! It was awesome! We had turkey too and it was awesome! In fact, it was all so good that we stopped for lunch on our way back north on Saturday. That time we also got sides and had creamed corn. HOLY COW! It was awesome! I told Ethan I'd go there just for the corn even if the meat wasn't so fabulous. Luckily, it was all great! And the people are so cool. I love being in a small restaurant where the locals run it and treat you like family. I can't wait to go again!



They also sold Blue Bell ice cream which I've realized is also awesome! I wonder if there is any relation between me and the "original" Rudy's co-founder. We look a lot alike I'm sure.

Friday we took it easy in the morning and then Ethan had to work in the afternoon. I tried to go see a friend that lives down there, but chickened out when I couldn't find where my directions actually started. It is a big city! I don't drive too well in new places, especially BIG new places.

When Ethan was done, we headed downtown. We went to the Alamo, although it was already closed. We read all the plaques and learned some things. I felt such awe at the conviction those men must have had. It brought me to tears a couple times. It was a neat place. I've included some quotes from the plaques and statues that I found inspirational.
In case you don't know anything about the Alamo click here or just enlarge this pic of one of my favorite plaques

"From the fire that burned their bodies rose the eternal spirit of sublime heroic sacrifice which gave birth to an empire state."
"Be silent, friend here heroes died to blaze a trail for other men."
We also did the river walk. I (again) had no idea what this was. It was pretty cool, they have this river that they've built shops and cafes around. There are some decorative pathways they've built for it to follow as well. This was a mosaic that was in a tunnel on the way into the shops. I love mosaics and want desperately to try one, this was the most beautiful and intricate one I think I've seen. Isn't it lovely?
It was a nice relaxing trip really. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. It is always nice to get out and if you happen to learn something along the way even better. We are looking forward to our next family trip to San Antonio in November.

9 comments:

Joni said...

I love San Antonio too. We are planning on going to Sea World again soon. I am also going there in October for Time Out for Women. I am way excited. Glad you liked the bar-b-que. I still don't have a taste for brisket. And Blue-bell ice-cream, let's just say I don't like it. I guess you are more of a true Texan than me, and I have lived here for 5 years now.

kate said...

what a cool looking place! i bet it had a neat feeling to it. glad you had a great trip.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Holy Brisket! This post brought back so many memories. I can hardly wait for Ethan to post the pictures of Boerne. I'm sure it's changed but the feeling is still there, I'm sure. Kim, I'm glad you got to experience "Rudy's". It's come a long way from what it was in 1990 when we lived there. Leon Springs was the only store back then. They have a better sign and an internet site now.

Thanks for the memories.

Love ya,

DAD W.

Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like you all had a good time. I am soooooo happy for you. Someday I would like to go to the Alamo. The men really did take their duty seriously. They were brave right up to the end. The mosaic is beautiful and the 4 handsome men in the picture are good looking too. Thanks for sharing. Next time dad & I come down there we will have to go to Rudy's for some brisket.

I love you tons.

Mom

Jeni said...

I am so jealous. So many good memories for me. I'm glad you had fun & could experience that rose of san antone.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Wow, I also got a little teary reading this post. Who took the cool "family photo" with ALL of your family? That is pretty neat. And I was touched as I read about the Alamo AND about Rudy's. That surprised me. I don't remember the history of Rudy's. I just know it is a San Antonio tradition. We have got to make plans for the trip to the south. That's all there is to it! I am glad you are a mom who likes to make memories! Love, Jane tm

Liz said...

I loved the Alamo site when we were there about eight years ago.

JandS Morgan said...

I love seeing pics of other places. If I had a ton of money I'd travel all over. It is nice when you aren't wandering aimlessly though and have a tour guide to give you a true appreciation for a place.

Heather said...

Yeah we were under the Rudy's spell at one time too. Everytime we went to SA Jason would make us eat at Rudy's. I like the turkey and pork, but for some reason I do not like Brisket. Any way The Rudy's in Corpus ruined it for us. It was not as good.