Another skipped day, I know. Tuesday, Day 9, I sent Richy and family to Louisville to The Science Center and Frazier Museum, but I didn't think I'd be up to two big travel days, so I stayed home. My kids were bummed at first... and at bed time, but we had a nice day. Richy's fam had a great time! They definitely sold us on taking a trip out sometime.
Day 10 was the biggest travel day of all. It was Ethan's day off, so he got to come with us on our big adventure! We got up early and hit the road south west to the Cave Region of Kentucky, about 2 1/2 hours from home. We started our day at Kentucky Down Under.
When we got out of the car, there were lots of vultures circling above so the boys wanted to play dead to see if they could lure them down to the ground... but no dice. Those vultures must be smarter than they look.
Our first stop in the land down under was to feed the parakeets. It was a perfect way to start our day! I walked out and had at least 4 birds land on me!
The kids were a little freaked out and complained a tiny bit about the birds' claws hurting them, but they all loved it.
Isn't that a cool picture?
Who knew I married my own version of Cinderella?
After feeding the birds we found a fun water way where the kids could search for gemstones among rough rock. It was pretty cool. Porter even bought a bag of the rough rock and ended up going home with some really neat stones!
Then it was time for our tour of Kentucky Caverns. It was a short trip in, but very decorative and slippery and beautiful. Some of the kids were scared, but most of them loved it!
Next we walked through the bird garden. The first bird we encountered was a kookaburra. Ethan was a pro at getting him to laugh but we thought it was funny to make the kids think their funny faces were the cause of the laughter...
They had some really gorgeous birds.
We watched a reptile show and the kids got to see and touch several different animals... like a skink...
...a small python...
...and a great bid python...
After we stopped for some lunch, we stopped to feed the lorikeets. They weren't as friendly as usual according to the attendant, but we still had a great time!
And finally, we took a walkabout in the outback. We got to pet a Red Kangaroo...
... an emu...
... and a gray kangaroo...
It was a really fun way to spend the day. Bryant said, "This was the best day ever. I got to spend the whole day in my favorite continent and country." He is really obsessed with Australia lately. We let the kids choose some souvenirs and daddy ended up going home with a big didgeridoo...
Our next stop was Mammoth Cave National Park. We only had time for one tour, but we had a great time. And it was stunningly beautiful!
Mammoth Cave was unlike any cave I've ever seen. It is HUGE (hence the name!). This room is the rotunda I was shocked at its size. The first and second levels of the cave (I think they said there were 5 levels) don't have any of the normal stalagtites and stalagmites, etc. But it was still really neat. And there is a lot of interesting history there.
A nice man offered to take a picture of our entire group! I think its the only one from the entire trip.
And Kari took another photo of our crazy family.
Kari was taking a couple shots of Ethan and I when our little sweetheart jumped in... I love it! She is such a doll! And handled all the walking of the day so well.
After our tour, we took a short "hike" through the beautiful fauna and flora. Kari and Bolton bonded as she chased him and he giggled up the trail. It was so, so sweet. I love baby laughter.
Driving out of the park, we spied a fawn! It got spooked right as we were going to pass so it was a bit of a blur, but a fun memory nonetheless.
I think we successfully tired the kids out. I know we tuckered me out!
Day 11 was spent getting Richy and Kari all loaded up, we made a simple craft (lava lamps) but didn't get any pictures. Then I got to take Kari and Paige shopping! It was fun to have a little time away from all the craziness!
And this morning they drove away. We are going to miss them! It was such a fun way to get to know our area and forge friendships with our family! Thanks for taking the time, effort, and money to come and see us! We love you! And are so happy we have these fabulous memories to last forever!
3 comments:
Such a blessing a family is! And on and on! The memories and photos will mean so much in the years to come.
Totally love the big group picture! What a heritage! And what amazing adventures!
I seriously laughed at your caption of Ethan and the little birdies!!!
Love you and yours SO MUCH!!!
Jane
Holy cow! Your Cousin Camp makes ours look like nothing! Petting Kangaroos! I am truly jealous. You guys are awesome!
What an awsome adventure, one that I am sure your family & Richy's family will remember for the rest of their lives. Love, love, love all of the pictures. You did marry a Cinderella guy. He is the real thing. A great catch. One of the good guys. The pictures of your family are funny. Several of the kids are pulling funny faces. The big group is really good. Creates a nice memory.
Love you tons. Mom
Post a Comment