Saturday we ventured out to the Kentucky Horse Park! It was a lot of fun!
First off, we found some miniature horses to pet. It was a great way to start our adventure. Nothing excites kids more than a hands on experience.
I just love this kid's face.
We picnicked here where the kids could pretend to be the horses and do all the fancy jumps.
Then we took a trolley tour around the horse park.
They have a Kids' Barn that the kids really loved playing in and exploring. I think some of them may have even learned some things.
Our next stop was the Horses from Around the World or Through History (something like that) Show. As you can see, there was a lot of excitement in the air!
The first thing they did was bring out the American Flag and played the song, "Proud to Be An American." I can't believe how emotional I get when I stand for the flag. It gets me every time. Tears were just pouring down my face.
They brought out lots of horses that were really neat. But my favorite part of the show was the guest performers, they were pretty awesome! I think they were called horse vaulters, something like that.
It was crazy the things they did. And scary, too. They even had a little mishap and had to pause the show, but no one was injured thankfully.
Bryant says this horse was his favorite, a Marwari. They are known for their curled ears. Its a really lovely breed.
Bolton was really taken with all the horses. It was fun to watch him watch them.
Then we headed out for pony rides. It was less exciting for the older kids than it was for the littles.
I love Levi's face here.
And I loved when Bolton reached out to pet his horse's mane. What a sweetheart.
They had a playground for the kids to play on after the pony rides. Poor Lincoln slipped and broke open his eyebrow. He handled it like a champ, though.
We finally ended up touring the museum. My boys, of course, had to be crazy with the statue.
The museum was a lot of fun and had a lot of interesting things to look at and read. Poor Ethan did get stuck with a tough crowd and spent most of him time chasing and requesting quiet. As we were trying to get everyone together to leave we couldn't find Levi... the little stink had run away from his dad... well, the doors got locked and before we knew it Levi was standing at the gate in tears. He was so scared that he'd been locked in! There was a guy in the lobby who could unlock the gate for him, but you'd think we'd asked him to fun a 5K with the way he grumpily huffed over to get his key. Makes me hope I don't get too grumpy when I'm old.
We ended the day with the Man O' War Memorial. I had no idea people were so taken with horses. I suppose, as far as horses go, Man O' War was quite a horse! He only ever lost one race in his career. On a side note, I learned that the term "hoss" came from the word horse said with an accent. I'm sure that wasn't news to anyone else, but it sure was for me! :)
While I was finishing up at the memorial, Ethan took some of the kids down by the water and they were all impressed with amazing amount of frogs!
Just one last shot of the day, Ethan showing his mad fence hopping skills. :) Man, I sure love having him around!
9 comments:
Wow! That was awsome. Kentucky would be the place to go to learn about horses. Lots to do there. I do believe we could all learn some things while we were there. Great pictures. Ethan is good at leaping tall fences.
Love you all tons. Mom
I think that Seabiscut was the one that beat Man O War. Did the kids catch any of the frogs?
Love to all once again. Mom
So much fun. You are going to have make cousin camp a yearly tradition!
Mom, Seabiscuit didn't beat Man O War. The horse that beat him was named, ironically, Upset.
Actually Man o War was Seabiscuit's grandpa.
Who knew there would be so many diverse things to do in one area?!!?! You found another fun park/adventure! I can't believe all the fun activities at a horse park!
And I must say, Little Bolton has quite a game face! It reminds me of His Cousin Caroline when her daddy said she hunts Easter Eggs like it's her job! (This was when she was two...hmmm.... maybe it's the "job" age! So CUTE!!
SWEET photos, Miss Kim!!! LOVE the way you handle that camera!
Love the family!! Grandma Jane
p.s. Thanks for the Horse History concerning Man o War, Upset, and Sea Biscuit!
What a fun aunt you are for planning cousin camp (and what a great way to explore your new home!)
Where in the world do you find the time to look so put together? Your hair is super cute!
Thanks Kim for the history. I knew that I had heard Man O War in relation to Sea Biscuit but I didn't know why the two names were linked. So Upset upset Man O War now that is funny. Did Upset do anything else in his career?
Love you tons. Mom
Post a Comment