Please leave me a comment with a
favorite scripture or quote
that helps you
get through hard times or that maybe
encourages you be a (or try to be...)
encourages you be a (or try to be...)
better parent.
I'm really excited about the project, but need lots of ideas! I'll be sure to share when I finish! Thanks in advance! You guys are the very best! Love you all!
8 comments:
I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, “Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
And he replied, “Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you
better than the light and safer than a known way!”
I've heard Pres. Monson quote this several times over the years. The first time, I wrote it down and kept it on my fridge for a year until I had it memorized. Then I forgot it tonight and had to look it up!
The scripture that helped me when I kept trying to do it all and kept coming up short is in Mosiah 4:27 "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength".
Love ya and good luck!
Jane
These are the quotes that have helped me over the past years. Don't think I have been a better parent because of them but....
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
“If I had a single flower for every time I think of you, I could walk forever in my garden.” Claudia Gandhi
When we have sampled much and have wandered far and have seen how fleeting and superficial a lot of the world is, our gratitude grows for the privilege of being part of something we can count on-home, family and the loyalty of loved ones. We come to know what it means to be bound together by duty, respect, and belonging. We learn that nothing can take the place of the relationship of family life."-Thomas S. Monson
"Another kind of emotional pain to which we all seem subject arises from the risks we take in allowing ourselves to love others. There is no suffering quite like that which comes when love is shattered. After years of patient waiting for what seems like the right time, one may open up his or her heart to another, only to find that tender heart bruised or broken when the love is not returned. We therefore bear a grave responsibility for the purity of our motives when some trusting heart has offered us entrance. Anyone who stands on that threshold stands on holy ground, which must not be exploited or defiled. But should a relationship so develop that, even in spite of honesty, caution, and goodness of motive, a parting of the ways still must come, we must not let the pain of that moment make us so resentful or bitter that we become unwilling to risk opening our hearts again. That kind of risk is necessary, because loving simply has its risks. In a sense, there is no love without certain kinds of fear." Bruce C. Hafen, “A Willingness to Learn from Pain,” Ensign, Oct 1983,
Darn it, I can't remember the book I read it in, but I think of this one ALL of the time.
"The only person whose behavior I can control is my own."
It really helps to remind me to model good behavior and to remember that my children are individuals and I can't force them to conform to what I think they should be. It also helps to remind me that free agency is an essential part of the father's plan.
Also, I heard this in sacrament meeting yesterday in a talk about missionary work and loved it:
"The Lord is looking for weak, scared individuals to do his work."
So often I hesitate to share the gospel because I feel scared or imperfect or because I'm not a doctrinal scholar. This reminded me that we're all imperfect, and that's why we NEED the gospel and the atonement.
One of my favorite quotes is: "I never said it would be easy I only said it would be worth it." I love that quote. And it totally applies to being a parent. When Life gets hard I think of that. And the scripture that I like to think of is: 1 Nephi 3:7 "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save He shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which He commandeth them." The Lord commanded that we multiply, so I know that He has preparted a way for us to be a parent. Being a parent is hard. It is a trial and error situation, with no guide book to tell you how to do it. But We always have the Lord. When I needed His help He has always been there. And now that my children are raised and I am quite pleased with the way you all turned out despite having me for a mother, so I must have done something right.
Love you tons. Mom
I memorized this poem when I was a beehive.
they might not need me, but they might.
I'll let my head be just in sight.
A smile as small as mine might be,
precisely their necessity.
Emily Dickinson
What a good reminder to just smile and be there for that one person who might desperately need a friendly smile.
good luck with your project! love, Debbie
2 Timothy is one of my favorite scripture passages. There are lots of good ones in there. :) They always motivate me.
2 Cor. 12:7-10
Moses ch. 1
I've been thinking about this a lot Kim- I have a gazillion things going on, but sometime soon I will sit down and type a response for ya.
Hope you're starting to feel settled- I love checking in on your cute fam.
Post a Comment