The test was given at several locations, most of Ethan's class would have taken it in Oregon. However, since we are living in Florida it didn't seem practical to send him up there; Since there is an optometry school in Ft. Lauderdale, a test was offered there as well. We loaded up the kids and all drove down as a family. Ft. Lauderdale is about 3 hours from us and I thought it would be better than being stuck home by myself, with no car, overnight.
I asked a bunch of people if they'd been down there before for ideas on things to do that didn't cost a lot of money and I was amazed at all the people that have lived here for the majority of their lives and have never been there. No one could help me out, so on Wednesday we ended up watching cable (the kids were thrilled to watch some of the shows on Nick Jr. they grew to love at Grandma Jane and Grandpa Woody's house). We were going to go to the pool, but I couldn't find arm floaties at the store closest to me and then Ethan was done about an hour and half earlier than expected (he is a genius after all). That night we made dinner in our microwave and then it was pretty much time to get the kids in bed. We laid them down and then Ethan and I sat outside our room on the floor waiting for them to go to sleep it was pretty funny. We got a lot of strange looks. :) Good thing we're used to that.
Anyhow, Thursday morning Ethan left for his test and once I got all the kids and myself ready we went down to the breakfast at the hotel. It was quite the spread, best breakfast I've ever seen at a hotel. They had those great waffle makers, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal with raisins or brown sugar to add, plus all the other things you're used to seeing at continental breakfasts: bagels, cereal, milk, juice, danish, etc. Well, I set the kids at a table and said I'd be right back with some food for them. While I was getting the food, I had about 5 people come up to me and said that I had cute boys and that "they are so well behaved!" It filled my heart with pride that they were being so good. Levi was waving to people and melting hearts and Bryant and Jonas were just hanging out. It was great! They ate their food right up and kept wanting more, so I didn't get to eat for quite a while, but I'm used to that too. :)
Lest you think I have perfect children, the next part of the morning was somewhat different. I was cleaning up all the plates and trying to get Levi to hurry along with the rest of the crew...Levi and I finally make it out of the dining area and Bryant and Jonas are no where to be seen. I looked down one hall and listened, no one. The next hall, still nothing. So, I wait at the elevator thinking thats probably where I lost them. Meanwhile, I'm thinking "So much for my well behaved children!" The elevator approaches and I can hear Jonas on it, whew! That was a close one...the door opens and there is Jonas...but no Bryant! I asked Jonas where Bryant is and he says, (ever so helpful) "Not on here" Then I try to ask him if Bryant was on the elevator and then got off and finally we understand eachother enough and I realize that yes, Bryant had been on the elevator at one point, but got off at another. So we're waiting for the elevator to come back down and when the door opens, there is Bryant, safe and sound! Hooray! He told me that he didn't do it, Jonas did (classic answer) but I'm glad that they both knew to come back to where they last saw me so we could find eachother.
Ethan came back late that morning and we had lunch and took him back to the test so that we could have the car. I was thinking we'd go to the beach or something fun like that. I drove to the beach and was flabbergasted to see that it cost $10 to park! TEN DOLLARS!!! Needless to say, we didn't go to that beach. It was right in downtown, though, so I decided to try the beach east of our hotel. It was not that much but Ethan had used our parking money earlier to park for his test. Then I went to a state park thinking perhaps they would take a debit card, no dice! Great! So as I'm driving back to the test to find a store where I can park for free and walk with the kids to the beach I see a big sign for a city park. I turn around and decide to try it out. Well, as I'm driving in to this city park I see that on weekends and holidays it costs money too...so I rack my befuddled brain to remember if it happens to be either of those things, its not, we're safe. We drive up and there is a huge play structure that is shaped like a pirate ship and right next to it is a water sprayer. PERFECT! I got the kids in their swimsuits and we spent the next 2 hours playing the hot afternoon away! It was great!
After we picked Ethan up again we just headed home and got stuck in horrible traffic, so the 3 hour drive was more like 4 1/2. But we made it and it was a successful trip! Again, congrats to Ethan! He said that he was so glad that he went to the Eye Institute before boards, his experience there helped on SO many questions! We're thankful for his good education so he can be an awesome optometrist (so soon!) and we're thankful to a loving Heavenly Father who answers our prayers! Thanks to everyone out there who was praying for Ethan, they were very much felt and appreciated!
9 comments:
"He told me that he didn't do it, Jonas did"
Alyssa is the same way! Her answer is always, "Ethan did it," and the poor kid can't say anything to defend himself.
Thanks for sharing, yay for free stuff!
How fun to read of your experiences! Hope your life in Florida is full of excitement! Elevators; Parking; Beaches, etc. It's great to see pictures of the kids again! Miss you and love you.
I'm so glad you shared this fun adventure! It's so weird to see your kids playing in the water this time of year. We are FREEZING up here! This is not like the Northwest weather I am used to. You sound like you're having so much fun and making some wonderful memories! Even losing your kids in the elevators. That is hilarious! I would have totally panicked. We miss you guys! It won't be long before Dr. Woodbury is ready for business! :)
Looks warm. I'd like it there.
Wow! Congrats to Ethan. I knew you could do it. I would have been scared to death when the boys were gone. Infact it scared me just reading about it. I'm glad you found the fun park. The boys look so cute. Thank you. I love you all tons.
Congrats to Ethan, and yes I'm a little jealous of the weather. 28 degrees with wind chill here. Didn't Jonas say he wants to come to our house? Ok, maybe the house in San Diego (we have so many you know). Love the pictures of the boys!
Fun! It's weird to see you at a water park in the middle of winter! I'm so glad boards are over too. I don't like being home alone.
Wow, so much to comment on.
1. Way to go, Mr. Ethan! You are making us all so proud.
2. Lost kids? That IS THE WORST!!! Needless to say, double whew....you found them!
3. You are SO resourceful and persistent. I am glad you found a free park and water. What else do you need? except for maybe food, diapers, sunscreen, etc. etc.
4. We are Homesick for you...but tickled you are having so many fun adventures! Love, Mom Jane
Post a Comment