Tuesday, June 22, 2010

This one goes out to the one I love

I have such a great husband. My kids have such a great dad. He's so great it makes celebrating Father's Day extra special (with an extra amount of pressure to make it so).

I got up Sunday morning and started working on baking some pies, one to take to church and one just for Ethan. I also started working on breakfast and was feeling so good, emotionally, that I had locked the door so Ethan could sleep in. We all know that's what he really wanted for his Father's Day, right? Once the kids got up they were entertained for a bit, but then remembered they really wanted to give their dad the presents they had made for him (thanks to an extremely kind and generous lady in the ward). So they started knocking at the door. I told them to leave him alone, but once that daddy heard his baby girl's voice outside his door he couldn't resist. He let them in and they started opening presents. I, of course, was stuck in the kitchen stirring my butterscotch pie filling and couldn't join in the fun. When I could take a quick break I ran in to express my frustration at being left out. I wanted to see him open his presents too. Waa! You'd think I was 4 years old. So they waited to open the last present until I was ready.

We had breakfast of biscuits and gravy with fried eggs. A good Southern breakfast for hopefully our last Southern Father's Day (one can hope!). Then Ethan opened the last of his presents from the kids and I got a nice just woken up picture of him with his adoring children. They each painted a frame for him and their picture is in the frame they painted. They all made him a card too. They were so excited! Its so fun to make things for people we love... I'm glad they're learning that early on.

Saturday while Ethan and I were shopping we found a good deal on the cordless drill and tool set he's had his eye on for some time, so we bought it. This made for a very happy Father on Father's Day. I also have been working on a painting of the Preston England Temple for him. He served his mission in Manchester England and was there when the Preston Temple was built, he worked the open house for a couple weeks at the end of his mission so it has special meaning for him. He informed me late Sunday night that Jonas had spilled the beans on my surprise telling him that I was painting a picture of the Temple for him. That boy can not keep a secret!

We went to church and had a nice time. The men got to eat pie during the last 20 minutes of meetings and I think Ethan enjoyed himself. When we got home he said, "I think for Father's Day dinner I should grill us some steaks... unless you had something else planned." Steaks sounded fabulous to me (and so did not making dinner to be perfectly honest) so off to work he went. And let me tell you, our dinner was by far the best Father's Day dinner I can remember ever having. He grilled up some onions and a zucchini from our garden as well. I mashed some potatoes and we feasted. It was one of the best steaks I can remember ever having. Good on ya, babe. He told the boys they didn't know how good they had it eating this well, and he was right. Hmmmm. We finished the night off with peach pie and putting the kids to bed. Then we just hung out, talking about things we need to do and baby names. It was a great way to end the day.

Of course, I've been thinking of Ethan and what a fabulous dad he is and I thought (with the new baby coming) it would be fun to showcase Ethan with each new addition to our family. I love that we have this same picture at the hospital with all of them. So sweet.

First time daddy, you can see how happy and proud he is. Such fun memories of that time.
Ethan and Bryant, March 23, 2003 Utah
The proud papa with a baby number two.
Ethan and Jonas, March 17, 2005 Oregon
Boy number three and fireworks to boot. A perfect day for this daddy.
Ethan and Levi, July 4, 2006 Oregon
And finally this daddy was blessed with his baby girl. He still adores her in every way.
Ethan and Eliza, July 17, 2008 Texas
I love the look in his eye in each picture. You can see the love he has for his kids. That's what makes him such a good dad, everyone, including the kids, can see and feel the love he has for these sweet children. We are so blessed to have him as the Father of our home. Happy Father's Day Ethan! You're the best!

By the way, if you'd like to take a guess at when this next baby will be joining us go to this link.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm so glad that you're so happy! I love seeing people in a good, happy relationship!!!! You made his father's day fabulous!!!!

aLi said...

I agree with Andrea's comment. So nice!!!!

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Could a mother be any happier after reading such a post about her son? NOPE!!!

Thanks for being his perfect wife and raising such an incredible little family.

We LOVE YOU ALL!!!


and counting.....
down....
and waiting....
for the phone call..

Love, JTMIL

Grandma Hoss said...

Kim you make me so happy and proud. You are a wonderful wife and mother. We love Ethan so much. He is a great husband and father. Love all of the pictures.

Hugs & kisses to all.

Mom

Petronella said...

That was so sweet to see all the the pictures next to each other of Ethan holding each new born. Precious. I hope you you'll have your baby number 5 comes soon. You are an amazing mother. Your kids are blessed to have good parents like you Kim and Ethan.

Shaillé said...

I love all the hospital pics with each kid - very cool! Hoping this baby comes soon for you...! :)