Last weekend we took the kids camping at our local state park~about 15 minutes away from our house. They were so, very excited for it and it was lots of fun. I didn't get as many pictures as I should have, but we were mostly just enjoying ourselves (and when I finally did get the camera out the batteries died before I was ready). Of course, there are still more pictures than the average family... I just tend to go a little crazy.
Now before you all go crazy thinking how cool I am (or how ludicrous) for camping this late in my pregnancy let me tell you that we rented a trailer from the base to make sleeping arrangements more comfortable. Of course, they told us it slept 6 and when we got it all set up we learned they were WRONG! It slept 4.And Eliza had a fever Friday so I chose to take her home to sleep. It worked out really well. Saturday she was feeling better so we attempted to sleep at the campground. She was having a hard time settling down. I was sleeping in the little tent with Levi and kept hearing her crying in the trailer. After I'd been asleep for about an hour I woke up with a full on claustrophobic panic attack. I couldn't sleep in that tiny tent, in that heat. I jumped out of the tent and got Eliza and we headed home for the night again. I didn't even attempt to sleep there on Sunday night.
We got there Friday evening and had hobo dinners cooked in the fire. I must say they were quite possibly the yummiest hobo dinners I've ever had thanks to a tutorial I watched on YouTube done by some scout kid. They were good. Then we roasted marshmallows and had s'mores. It was de.lic.ious.
Saturday morning was lazy. The kids made friends with the neighbor campers and we took them all up to the playground. They had fun climbing the "watch tower" and trying to scare each other with ghost sounds.
Then we headed over to the lake and went fishing.
But then everyone lost interest in exploring and wanted to go bug Dad and Bryant... by playing in the tackle boxes...
Sunday was my birthday. I came back to camp and Ethan made me a yummy breakfast of pancakes and then provided entertainment by playing baseball with the kiddos.

Levi was up to bat and Jonas and Bryant are the umpire and catcher (I don't know if they even knew which was which).
Elilza was just happy to be outside. There are few things she loves more.
Happy that Dad showed him the correct way to hold the bat.
Realizing that after he got a hit and ran the "bases" it was no longer his turn was a less happy event.
The camera batteries died right when I was trying to take pictures of Bryant up to bat. I was bummed big time! He is really getting good at keeping his eye on the ball and "hitting home runs!"
I wish this picture was more clear, but I LOVE Jonas' face!
I took some other pictures of our "hike" on our phones, but haven't been able to get them on the computer yet. And boy do I have a story to tell along with those photos, so be on the lookout. It made for an adventurous birthday.
After our hike we headed home to get ready for church. We stayed home the rest of the day because it was too hot and I didn't want to go back to the campground. Ethan took the boys at bed time and then cleaned up camp in the morning, took the kids fishing again and came home. It was a fun camping trip (and an easy one for this momma!)!
13 comments:
how fun! and i REALLY like the idea of heading home to sleep at night. :) it's so hard to get some desperately needed sleep when you're pregnant, even in a nice comfy bed! love all your great pictures of the weekend.
Love all of the pictures. Can't wait for the ones on the hike and the story. Poor Levi, it is hard to learn the rules of the game. Sounds like a great weekend. Glad you were smart and slept at home. I am sooooooo looking forward to July.
Love you all tons. Hugs & kisses all around. Mom
My first thought was, "What on earth is she doing camping this late in her pregnancy?? Wonderwoman, you are!" I'm so glad that you did make accommodations to be more comfortable (the trailer and the trip home!). It sounds like it turned out to be a wonderful trip--I'm so glad that you had such a good time.
And, when did Eliza get so big? She suddenly looks so much older to me!
Wow! I am always impressed with how active your family is. You guys are amazing!
I love how you camped so close to home so you could spend the whole weekend camping without it being a huge ordeal. Although, what family outing, no matter how small, isn't a huge ordeal?
I can't wait to hear about the hike!
My favorite kind of camping, day camps! I only do it for the kids. I really like the idea of it, but the actually implementation is such a pain. It is weird to imagine a hot place right now. It has been so cold and rainy up here this year.
I loved it! Eliza looks tall! I am wanting some hobo dinners and roasted marshmallows now. Ooooh yummy!
Oh how fun!!!!! Happy birthday to you too!!! What a fun trip and I love that you were so close to home! Fabulous!!!
sounds like a fantastic trip! happy birthday!
Looks like fun! I guess when you are the mom of 3 (almost 4) boys, you go camping when you are 8 months pregnant. Super MOM!
Glad to see the vacation in pictures. I can't believe Eliza has hair long enough to do up in ponytails! She is such a big girl! Glad you had a nice birthday.
I LOVE IT ALL!!! The "wowies". The Sobbing Child whose turn is over. The Monster lurking in the bushes. The Amazing Pitcher. The Fishing is Boring if you aren't catching fish. And the Missing (Wonder) Mom who took all the pictures!
Yes, You ARE so adventuresome. Thanks for the sharing. LOVE YOU!!!
Jtfmil
I love camping, looking at your pictures makes me really want to go, will definitely have to fit it in this summer!
Also, I just looked at the book club blog for the first time in ages. For some reason, it stopped showing up on my rss feeds, so I thought you just hadn't posted on it in a long time. I had fun looking at all of your creativity, you are so crafty and talented! Keep the good ideas coming, I need some decorating ideas for when we move out of our parents' basement someday. :)
K so first of all Loved the post and it sounds like you had a awesome camping trip. I like the idea of going home at night and sleeping while dad stays with the kiddos:) Second sorry I'm such a bad sister in law I hope you had a happy birthday!!! I have been so crazy with girls camp and completely spaced it!! I hope you had a good one!! Love ya
Brindy
Post a Comment