Well, its 7:25 am and I just sent Bryant to school for his first day of first grade! He looks so cute and grown up. I cut his hair Saturday and he decided to go for the faux-hawk, I'm not sure we'll be keeping it, but its fun for now. We met his new teacher on Thursday and she seems really nice. She's been teaching first grade for 21 years, so I think he's in good hands. He already knows at least one kid in his class and he's looking forward to meeting everyone else and making new friends.
Last night Ethan gave him the annual Father's Blessing Before School Starts and Bryant asked him to bless him that he'll become a faster reader so he can read more books faster and so when he reads to Jonas and Levi he can read faster. I thought that was so cute, we didn't even ask him about things he thought he needed, as soon as a blessing was brought up he just knew immediately what he wanted. He's been reading a lot of books the last month. I actually started a goodreads.com account for him, so if you're on there, you can maybe try to be his friend.
Levi has made some improvements with his speech in the last couple months. I can understand much of what he says, but there are still lots of things he needs help with. The school district asked me to wait until this or next week to bring him in for a new evaluation and then he should be able to start therapy there. I'm really looking forward to that time for him. I think he'll love being the absolute focus of attention from the therapist and me. He is such a sweet heart lately. I think three is one of my favorite ages.
Eliza is still not really walking. She walks from point A to point B throughout the day, but is never really consistent. She seems perfectly content for now to just do her thing though (meaning she isn't frustrated about it). She is finally getting her top middle front teeth, so we're losing our vampire look and going for the cute toddler big tooth gap look. Its pretty cute (but she refuses to let me take a picture of it, so you'll have to take my word for it).
Yesterday I found this weird abscess thing on her index finger. Its about the size of a pencil eraser, looks to be all filled with puss and is red around it. I'll be calling the doctor today. Anyone have any experience with what this may be?
We recently joined the YMCA and have had fun going a few times a week. I really like working out with Ethan, it makes my workout so much more enjoyable. We also recently acquired a trampoline from some friends who were moving, we've had lots of fun in the back yard with that. Ethan is doing well at work (for those of you who don't know he received the CGO of the quarter for the Wing which means out of the whole base!). We are all so proud of him.
No the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but you don't need to hear about the stress of life right now. I'm just enjoying the good, having Levi sit on my lap, sucking his thumb and holding my elbow. Its peaceful quiet and its nice to reflect on the good things. Being a mom is an incredible blessing, I just love this family so much!
12 comments:
Wow, I can totally relate Beth started 1st grade last week, and I am feeling lost and old, but happy for her. That thing on Eliza almost looks like a burn, that's infected. She didn't like touch a hot car seat or rub it really hard on the carpet for a long time until it burned her did she?? I'll be interested to hear what the doc says. Good luck with the first few days having the oldest gone. For me I realized how much she did to entertain the crew and now I have to think of the entertainment more often.
1st grade! How fun! I love first day of school pictures. crisp new clothes. spiffy hair. Love it! I didn't grow up in the church so the fathers blessing is just precious to me. Ill have to ask Rod what he thinks is on eliza's finger. Im sue he will have some idea. derm was one of the last courses he took before rotations.
Kim, I love your post. It is calm and peaceful. I miss those days of fathers blessings before school and new clothes and stomach jitters. You will continue to have calm amoungst chaos.. grasp it and enjoy it. I can't remember did Levi have his hearing tested? What is on Eliza's finger...just what you said, a bag of pus. Bug bite, infected blister, sucking the finger... who knows just see if she needs an antibiotic. You are such a good mom and so tender with your kids. I love you and Ethan. Keep up the good work.
SOunds great Kim. I really do love those boys of yours. Bryant's hair is awesome! And your little girl is really growing up. What a cutie.
We miss you guys!
How fun for Bryant to be in first grade! Your kids are beautiful and are so lucky to have such great parents.
Bryant looks handsome and all grown up. Love the hair. Jo and Levi look handsome too. I'm glad that Jo is staying home another year. He will have years of school to look forward to. Keep us informed on how Levi is doing with his speech.
Eliza is beautiful. When Dennis had strep of the skin on his back it looked alot like what is on Eliza's finger. I will be interested to hear what the doctor says.
Love you tons.
Mom Holliday
such cuties! looks like you have a good year ahead of you. poor little finger! aren't you just so tempted to pop it? i would be. gross, huh?
Gaye, I have had Levi's hearing tested a couple times by the pediatrician.
FYI---I took Eliza in this morning and he thinks its an ant bite. He recommended warm compresses to help it come to a head. He said to keep an eye on it and if the redness starts moving up her finger to get her on an antibiotic immediately, for which he gave me a prescription.
Yay,you got your question answered! What a fascinating post--from your words to all the comments! Thank goodness for a nurse in the family!(Gaye) I think the pus pocket is already a "head". Don't you? Is she bothered by it?
Yes, the boys are too handsome and Eliza is too cute! Thanks for the updates. love, JTMIL
So I am at my new school today and meeting with the five first grade teachers discussing how they are going to assess the first graders and divide the reading groups. They are going to assess the kiddos weekly and then on Friday we will help with "interventions" to help the lower kids catch up and retain the sounds, etc. being taught. Several of the teachers mentioned one of their students who is so high...as in reading Harry Potter...that they don't know what to do with them.
I thought of Bryant and wanted to brag..but since I am the newbie, I kept my mouth shut. Maybe later. jtmil
I've been wanting to post to my blog lately about how I feel, it is the exact opposite of your post (minus your last paragraph's first sentence). Anyway, I commend you, and I really am happy for you, I promise. I loved Gaye's comment, she said it all perfectly. Lots of love to you!
oh I really wish I could pop that thing. :)
Bryant looks so handsome-all ready for his first day of school! I know the teachers will soon realize the genius that he is. How fun for him!
Post a Comment