To give you an idea of what we've been reading, here are some books we've read the past year: Harry Potter 1-3 (I'm not sure he's ready for the darker stuff in the rest), Holes, Stuart Little, The Wizard of Oz, The Spiderwick Chronicles, Little House on the Prairie, Charlotte's Web, The Goose Girl, The Chronicles of Narnia.
We really love the time together. We have so much fun every night reading a chapter or two from our book. We just finished Beetles, Lightly Toasted tonight and I have no idea what book to pick up tomorrow, so I'm asking for your help. Please leave a comment with suggestions for books for us to read together. I should add that Bryant loves it when its a book that a movie has been made of, after we finish the book the following Friday we have a movie night and we haven't had one for quite awhile.
Think back to books you read as a kid. Think of books your kids (or friends' kids, nieces, nephews, strangers) are enjoying. Any recommendations will be very appreciated! Thanks!
19 comments:
Hey Kim,
I am in the same boat, always looking for books for my boys. My 1st grader loves the Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne, we also love the Hardy Boys books which we can usually find at thrift stores or libraries. I have also heard good things about the Hank the Cowdog series by John R. Erickson. Those are next on our list. The Boxcar children series is always great, I can't remember if you mentioned those or not. Good luck!
how about twilight? hahaha--TOTALLY KIDDING!!! haha. I wish I was more help. I read girly books like babysitters club, Ramona quimby, boxcar kids. etc... Im really just impressed that you read with Bryant like that. My dad did that with my brother & I...come to think of it...I really liked the novel of Pinocchio...anyhow....point of this rambling comment is that....some of my favorite memories are of my dad reading novels to me. Im sure it will be the same for your kidd-os. YOu are an inspiration to me thats for sure!
I think Bryant may really enjoy the Wayside School series. Same author as Holes, Louis Sachar. They are totally funny and relateable. I also recommend the BFG, James and the Giant Peach,or Charlie and the Chocolate factory by Roald Dahl, Matilada by Dahl also was my favorite but it might be to much girl for him (I think its not really girly but the main character is a girl).
Possibly the Redwall(can't remember the author) series. They are big books but not worse than Harry Potter and I really loved them when I read them myself in 5th or 6th grade.
Did he handle Harry Potter OK. My first grade girl wants to read it together but I have hesitated so far. If your ready for some heavier topics and sci fi Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is great but it may need to wait a couple years look at it and see what you think. I'll think of more. I was the kid who walked home from school reading a book all the way. Ha Ha
The Tales of Despereaux is fun and action packed. The movie was nothing like the book. I also loved Heidi the whole series by Joanna Spyri growing up, The horse books by Marguerite Henry, Like Stormy Misti foal (that is not the first one however)my first grader loved that one,(but it had horses so we were biased)
OK I'm done for now. Sorry for the long posts.
Great comments, thank you!!!
Laurie, Bryant is also really loving The Magic Treehouse books. He's reading those on his own and we're trying to find some bigger reads for us to do together. Though, I will definitely be trying some Hardy Boys... I'd forgotten about those. Hank and the Cowdog sounds interesting, we'll have to look that one up.
Jenni, you are always so kind to me... I'm sure its because you've never actually met me that you think I'm an inspiration... :) but thank you. BTW, I also read The Babysitter's Club almost exclusively as a kid. I hated reading, but those I just ate up.
Camy, Bryant LOVED Harry Potter and I was amazed at what he retained. I will have to get a Redwall book, I've seen them at the library, but haven't known anything about them. As I was typing up my post I thought about Roald Dahl and decided we'd have to get some of his stuff too. I've never read James and the Giant Peach or Matilda, but loved Charlie. I absolutely love Ender, but think he's a bit over Bryant's level (although, it starts with him at age 6... weird). I'm curious about Wayside School... looks like I've got some homework to do.
Thanks again and keep the suggestions comin'!
Hey Kim- when I was little I LOVED the Boxcar Children books, they were my absolute favorite. As a kid I incorporated the books into a lot of my imaginative play. I still think about them from time to time- I should read them again- it's been a LONG time! They may not be good, it may just be nostalgia. :)I also love the Roald Dahl books, and those are all really fun and entertaining, James and the Giant Peach being one of the highlights. Pretty entertaining for adults too.
What about Charlotte's Web-has 2 movies! :) The Witches by Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Complete Wreck by Lemony Snickets, the Indian in the Cupboard, Stuart Little, anything Beverly Cleary (the mouse and the motorcycle), Old Yeller, Boxcar Children were my FAVORITE!!!, the best Christmas Pageant Ever....
Wow, everyone has mentioned the ones that came to head originally. The only one here I didn't see that I remember reading was the Ramona Quimby Series by Beverly Clearly. I know they made movies of those too. It's been awhile though...
Anyone read Encyclopedia Brown? I just got a few books from the library to read as a test for reading with B. These suggestions are wonderful! Thank you all so much... I'd love to have more!
My favorite reads as a youngster were the Little Women, Little Men, Joes Boys by Louisa May Alcott. But then you knew that. Now I read Murder She Wrote and love them.
Hugs & Kisses once again.
Love Mom Holliday
Fabulous advice about books. I laugh at your mom's choices. Those were TOTALLY my favorite as a girl!!!
I also loved "The Secret Garden". And it is a movie also. There are many, many good books out there. Is he allowed to check books out of his school library? I've found some great books in our school's library. love, Jtmil
Yeah, Kim. I've read Encyclopedia Brown. I'd tell you right now, but you're asleep on the couch. Aww... So sweet.
Anyway, EB was one of my top faves as a kid. I would bust through one of those things in an hour, though. That was around 3-4th grades.
Like I said today at the library, anything by Gary Paulsen, or Wilson Rawls, or the dude that did Big Red (Kjelgaard or something like that)
He is a boy after all.
Love you. I'll wake you up in just a minute.
Brooke loved The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White (who wrote Charlette's Web). We also enjoyed Summer of the Monkeys. I think it was written by the same author as Where the Red Fern Grows (also a good book). Brooke did laugh at me for crying at the end but really you just can't help it.
There are some good books about different Indian children from all different tribes by Ken Thomasma.(he visited my school as a kid so of course we all loved the books) I can't find them at my library but maybe yours is better.
I have also heard that Cam Jansen its a mystery series, (sounds like a modern Nancy Drew to me)is supposed to be good. I've never read them but my 9 year old neice has read several and really liked them.
Fablehaven Series by Brandon Mull
Oh, Brian might also like all the Tennis Shoes among the Nephites books. Did you ever read those?
I was going to say Fablehaven too-we're reading it right now and I've figured out how to get Dalton to read on his own for enjoyment. I just quit at the most exciting parts...and he can't wait so he takes over. Fabulous!
That said, it might be a few years too old for Bryant-it's not as dark as some of the other fantasies (though it has a few moments), but the girls fall asleep quite often while I am reading, so maybe in a year or two?
I love just about anything Roald Dahl-it is just so imaginative and charming! Lots of his have been made into movies too, which is nice. Ooh, I loved the Tennis Shoes series too-I should get those for Dalton! There's also one by Chris Heimerdinger (I think) that has these wild inventions. Okay, looked it up. I remember really enjoying Eddie Fantastic too!
I loved Babysitter's Club too-but somehow, I don't see the boys loving it. But Nola will...
I loved the "Choose your Own Adventure" books. I have no idea if they are still around. I loved how the ending changed according to the decisions that I made. Super fun!
You guys are the best! I need to add several to our to read list. I think Bryant will like Fablehaven if I can ever get it from the library. Choose your own adventure sounds fun, I've never read any of them, I didn't know about the ending changing, that is cool. I definitely need to get one of those! Tennis Shoes are fun... I probably should buy them to have on hand... Good, good suggestions everyone! yay!
Post a Comment