Thursday, October 23, 2014

School started, life got crazy, and we explored Mt. Diablo!

Oh my goodness!  I am beyond frustrated with my photo situation!  I have been trying for months to get the pictures from my phone onto the computer and I have failed in every attempt!  Then yesterday, Ethan called me as I was putting some laundry in the washer and when it was time to leave the laundry room I couldn't find it anywhere... ugh.  It was in the washer as it filled with water.  It doesn't look good.  And just to pour lemon juice in my paper cut of frustration, I found a solution to my photo problem today!  But I guess those photos are just gone.  Sad.

I do have a few pictures to share from the first day of school.  The kids were all so excited!  I got pictures of everyone, but only these gems found their way onto the computer.  Abe was trying with all his might to get into the van on his own.  Silly baby boy.


And this big guy rules the roost at the elementary!  He is in 6th grade this year!  He has WAY more homework than he ever has.  He doesn't ever complain about it, though.  He works on it as soon as he gets in the car on the way home and gets it done without me even asking.  Its quite a gift.

Jonas started 4th grade.  He seems to really, really like his teacher.  There are a few students in his class that he has a hard time with and comes home complaining/crying about the way they talk to him/treat him.  I'm trying to let him sort it out on his own.  He's got to learn how to cope with all sorts of people to be successful, though I give him lots of support and ideas for how to deal with it.  He has a new best friend who moved into the ward this summer and as luck would have it O is in his school class!  He talks about him all the time and is always wanting to play.  Makes me happy that he has such a good friend.  Homework is much more of an ordeal with Jonas than with Bryant.  Usually he does it fine, but every once in a while he doesn't do it until bedtime and one time he told me it was done but it wasn't.  He got in big trouble for that.  I told him he can't have his after school snack until after his homework is done from now until the end of 2014.  Boy, do I know how to hit him where it hurts.

Levi started 3rd grade.  He comes home from school happy almost every day (which is great).  He is learning a lot.  He does homework about half the time without being badgered.  He tells me that a LOT of girls like him (like like him, like him).  His two best friends are in different classes than him, but he gets to play with them (and Jonas) at recess every day.  

Eliza started 1st grade and she LOVES it.  She is doing really well, though her teacher sent a note that she is a slow worker... I literally said aloud, "Tell me about it!"  That girl doesn't know how to move quickly unless she's sprinting.  Good thing I love her so darn much.  The whole getting ready for school routine is a joke some mornings.  I don't know how many times I've gone out to the van when everyone is already loaded up and asked her if she has shoes on and she's quietly replied, "no." What she expects to happen once she's at school I have no idea... but she's new at this and will hopefully figure it all out soon.  She has a hard time staying on target, getting distracted very easily.  We have a lot of distractions around here, as you can imagine.

So, school started.  Its been a good year so far.  Perfect attendance!  And I started letting the kids walk after school to meet me at the car wash, so I get about 20 extra minutes at home to let Abe sleep or feed him something if he wakes up in time.  They love it and I don't have to get Bolton out of the van and walk in to the school if he happens to fall asleep on the way to the school (2-3 times a week).  Win-win-win.  

A friend of mine shared a picture on Instagram of a place called Rock City at Mt. Diablo and it looked like a perfect adventure for this family of ours.  So, on Aug. 30 we hit the road to Mt. Diablo. The drive there was nice... until we got to the actual mountain.  Well, that's not fair, it was really nice there too, it was just crazy how many bikes we had to share the winding road with.  I had to close my eyes I was so glad that Ethan was driving and not me.  I don't think I'll dare go with out just for that reason.

But we will definitely be going again!  It was such a great adventure.  And a 100% perfect location to let our kids explore.  The all loved it, even the baby got in on the rock climbing.







These wind caves were exceptionally cool.  Who doesn't want to sit in a little rock pocket?


















 
The kids were all ready to move in.  It reminded me of all the rocks we'd climb in Duchesne, though less lizards were seen at Mt. Diablo.

After Rock City we drove up to the top of Mt. Diablo.  There is a little visitor's center and a great panoramic view.  Ethan captured this beauty.

I texted my brother that he needs to come see us again so we can take them here, but the invitation is open to all of you as well!  Its lots of fun!

2 comments:

Grandma Hoss said...

It looks like it would be lots of fun. You got some great pictures too. How far away from you home is it? The first day a school sounded fun too. Has Eliza figured out the getting completely dressed yet? Too funny about the being slow. How are all the kids doing in school now? They are all so smart, so they should be doing great. Love you. Hugs and Kisses for all OOOOOOOO XXXXXXXX. Mom

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Start to finish...Wow!!!!! Baby Abe's determination comes naturally, I suspect! Studly boys...yup! It's happening. What a blessing one child does his homework without any prodding!
LOVE how you solved Jonas's homework challenge. I did something similar with Ethan. No supper until homework was done. Levi and the girls....?? Get ready!

Eliza slow???? Really???? She gets that from Grandma LaJean! :)

Mt. Diablo...I wonder if that's the mountain I rode to in a car when I was three and learned my phobia of mountain/car/heights. Hmmm. Rings a bell. But I LOVE the wind pockets! What fun for the kids!!!

Fabulous photos!!!

LOVE! Jane