This blog (and all of you) have served as therapy for me a lot. Rarely has a post elicited such a response as this one did, though. You can see the original with comments here. As facebook has become even bigger since this time and we've all become busier I think things have changed with how we all feel about blogging. I think that mommy blogs have become so much less common, blogging seems to be all about making a buck anymore. However, I still feel like its a great way to connect with my loved ones, yes, I mean you!
I read recently that men communicate for information, women communicate for interaction and blogging is the only interaction I have with most of you. But I'm so glad for your friendship! I think I'm less needy for comments now than I used to be... I still love to hear from you, for sure! But I don't feel under valued so much now.
If you're confused what this is all about, you can click here.
--------------------------------------------------------
I feel like I need to apologize for the following post, but I'm going to post it anyway...
I read recently that men communicate for information, women communicate for interaction and blogging is the only interaction I have with most of you. But I'm so glad for your friendship! I think I'm less needy for comments now than I used to be... I still love to hear from you, for sure! But I don't feel under valued so much now.
If you're confused what this is all about, you can click here.
--------------------------------------------------------
I feel like I need to apologize for the following post, but I'm going to post it anyway...
I'm sure that the topic is coming up in classes, but I wouldn't be surprised if before long the powers that be realize there is enough to talk about for an entire course. I can see the syllabus now, Blogology 1010; Week 1: Types of Blogs, Week 2: Types of Bloggers, Week 3: Why People Blog, Week 4: Commenting on Blogs, etc. etc.
I'm sure there is even statistical information to be gleaned about when people blog and when people comment. These topics are the reason I've been having this class in my mind. Some of you may have noticed that I didn't blog for quite a while (I know its all relative) the last month or two. The truth is, I was depressed. I didn't want to dampen anyone's holiday spirit by my negativity. The only things I thought of to blog about were how much I missed my family, how I didn't have any friends, how hard it is to be a good mom (motherhood isn't hard, its when you throw in that "good" qualifier that things get difficult)... I was a complete downer and out of respect for all of you I chose not to blog much. However, I'm sure that my absence could just as easily have been due to holiday busyness or just being so overwhelmingly awesome that I just wanted to spend every waking second enjoying my sweet children~ which is clearly why some of you have been less present the past while, I'm sure.
So, I say it was out of respect for all of you and while that is the truth, there is more to the story. I also didn't think anyone (besides a select few, maybe) would really care~ remember one of those topics was that I didn't have any friends. Of course I know that's not entirely true. I do have some friends. Its just the blogging friends are different. Think about the reason you blog. I know some of you blog to record random tidbits in your life that are interesting or funny, some of you blog about food, books, crafts, or whatever it is that floats your boat. The main reason I blog to keep in touch with my family and, yes, friends.
Keep in touch is an interesting descriptor though, isn't it? Doesn't it imply some sort interaction between two people, rather than just one person spewing out information. It does to me. This leads to the interesting topic of Week 4: Commenting on Blogs.
I think most of us who blog for the purpose of keeping in touch really love to get comments. In place of the "# comments" on the bottom of each post on a dear friend's blog it says, "# People Like Me Enough to Comment." So I'm know I can't be the only one who feels its disheartening to check my blog and see no new comments. Considering this got me thinking, if we all like comments so much why don't we comment more? Of course, in my times of despair I consider the reasons I don't get comments with a skewed perspective. Thinking things like Wow. People really don't care what I have to say, do they?Or People always leave glorious comments on her blog, they must not love me as much... Or Why don't people miss me? I know, I know, I can get pretty whiney in this pretty little head of mine.
Many of you might consider me a regular commenter. I try to be, for the most part. But there are times when I don't leave comments. The reasons vary depending on the blog, person, or day. Sometimes, like right after the holiday, I have so many blog posts in my reader that I just want to get through them all and don't take the time to comment. Sometimes I feel too insecure to leave a comment. For example, Ethan's cousin is a really funny, charming beautiful girl whose blog posts almost always make me laugh out loud, but I rarely leave a comment on her blog because I'm so not funny, what could I possibly say? (sorry Christa). Other times I fall subject to the crowd theory. You know, if someone is in need in the middle of a city nobody stops to help because they mostly all think someone else will. Well, at times I think She doesn't need a comment from me, she has loads of other friends that will surely leave a comment. (sorry Kate). And still other times I just think its awkward, like when its a post by my high school boyfriend's wife about how much she loves her husband. (sorry Lori). And sometimes I just don't know if a person values comments or expects them. Maybe it bugs some of you when I leave a comment?
Well, I've decided all those reasons are garbage! If I have time to read through your post, I certainly can take an additional 10 seconds and leave a comment too. So what that I'm not funny? My brother once reminded me that there have to be people like me to appreciate the good humor of all of you. If you made me smile, I should tell you. Awkward, smawkward. We're grown ups and quite frankly, I'm glad you're happy. And what if people aren't leaving comments for me because they don't know how much I appreciate them? Everyone likes feedback, even if it is on a book they read or a recipe they made.
I love the TV show LOST and frequent a blog about its awesomeness (Thanks Steph!). The writer of said blog has been holding contests in the hiatus to help pass the time for all us nerds who just can't wait for the final season to begin. The most recent contest was a "Things I've Noticed" about LOST, where she asked people to say something tongue in cheek about what they've noticed while watching LOST. One of the winning entries said, "I've noticed that life for the survivors (and the viewers) would be a lot less frustrating if they would just talk about things when they happen." Oh, the truths being taught on LOST! Life for all of us, not just the Losties, would be better if we would just communicate!
So, no more frustration from my end, I'm putting it out there. I love it when you leave me comments! It makes me feel like we really are friends. Like you really do like me and care. Does that make me annoying and needy? Sorry if it does. But this study into Blogology has opened my eyes to what frustrates me about blogging and what I love about blogging, and that is all of you!
------------------------------------------------
And if you want to read any more of my therapy sessions on this ole blog, here you go:
------------------------------------------------
And if you want to read any more of my therapy sessions on this ole blog, here you go:
- The one where I share some serious mistakes and emotions in a hard dose of reality.
- The one when I measure success by showering before 10 am!
- The one where I yell and scream at the kids (ha! the "one") and then ask forgiveness.
- The one where General Conference gives me some great insight to becoming better.
- The one that might be my first foray into the depths of "crazy pills" aka mom brain.
4 comments:
Wow! That was a great lesson. I know how much you love comments and I always try to leave at least a small one for each and every blog. The reason I do that is because I want you to keep blogging. I love seeing the pictures and hearing the stories that goes with the pictures. Thanks for keeping us in the lives of your family. I for one need that.
Love you always. Mom
oh yes, i remember that post. may have been what gave me the nudge to turn off my comments for a while. i loved having my comments off, but i love having them on a little more. this is the only social media i really do and i find it so much more fulfilling that fb, tweeting, etc. so i think the time involved in getting a meaningful dose of someone's life in a blog post, and leaving a meaningful response is totally worth it.
also, i haven't printed my blog yet (my mom is here visiting and urging me to do it!) but i have heard great things about blurb.com. i need to buckle down and do that. i mean, how fun would a hard copy of our blogs be for the kids?! think of the children! :)
I remember this one
You are the best comment-maker ever. Thank you.
Post a Comment