So Day 4 is kind of skipped here because a) I was going to meet someone at the (overpriced) aquarium but got lost walking in the rain for over an hour trying to find it, so I headed back to the hotel to change into some dry clothes; b) once I was in the hotel I crocheted and read; c) that evening we went to spend the evening with our dear friends Paul and Cathryn, who happen to live 45 minutes west of Boston... they treated us to a beautiful drive into the country of Massachusetts, a yummy dinner, some fun time with their sweet kids, and some long overdue catching up. Thanks so much guys! It was so wonderful to see you! I took two photos of the night, but they are on my phone and since I'm trying to get through this trip quickly... I'll add them later!
On to Day 5!
Ethan finally had some time off from the conference and so we got to do some sightseeing together. Let the cheesy poses begin!
I let him choose whatever he wanted to see and so we headed back to "Old Ironsides."
As luck would have it, though, the top deck was closed due to the weather, so we got to explore the lower levels which I didn't get to do when I was there before. Fun! Cannonball. Can't you just see me on The Price is Right showing cannonballs? That would be awesome.
The sleeping quarters for the sailors. Ugh. No thanks. I couldn't even stay down there during the tour. I was ready to get some air!
Boy, it really paid to be an officer, I guess it probably still does.
Ethan, the photographer.
Can you believe those are actual anchors? You had to have a mighty big ship to hold those things.
When we left The Constitution, we headed to the dry dock to explore...
As I mentioned in the last post, I just read an amazing story (Unbroken... go get it and read it today, seriously) about one man's journey through WWII, and this destroyer was actually used during the war. I loved exploring it. Of course, we had to stop for some more cheesy photos.
Remember the steel toe boots from my last post?
When we headed back across the bridge we snapped this photo... one of my favorite of the trip.
We headed back to the Italian district to get more gelato. So good. Just for fun, I learned the reason Boston has such a great Italian district is because when they were building the addition to the State House, the architect (or something) didn't trust Americans to work with his fine Italian marble, so he brought in a whole bunch of Italians to do the work.
For dinner we stopped at the Green Dragon Tavern. If I remember correctly it claims to be the birthplace of the revolution.
After a delicious dinner of Clam Chowder (for me at least) we hit some of the shops. We stopped by Cheers gift shop to pose for a few more cheesy shots.
It was so fun to be able to hang out together! We had a delightful time on our last night in Boston.
Saturday morning we got up and decided to go up to Harvard. It was lovely. See for yourself. Sorry I don't have any details on the buildings... we had a very limited amount of time and just walked around snapping pictures of things we thought were lovely.
This is the library, or I guess I should say one of the libraries.
This is a church and a ballet studio. Its not actually on campus, but just off. It was just so beautiful. Ethan commented that he can understand why churches build steeples because you can't help but look up when looking at a church and isn't that the point?
Another church and a beautiful fall shot.
This is a huge, grand, beautiful building. We did a search for it on my phone with Google goggles (or something like that), but I can't remember what the building is. Its beautiful, though, that's for sure.
As I said, it was a rushed visit. We left and then we split up so we could get everything done we needed before leaving Boston... the important things like getting checked out of our hotel and getting our bags... and of course, stopping at Mike's Pastry for some more cannolis. I picked up the cannoli (a big box of them actually... we took some home as a thank you to our friends for stepping up and taking care of our kids) and Ethan did the hotel stuff. He also got a picture in the subway... pretty funny, that's the final picture on the camera from Boston.
We had such a wonderful time. And its a good thing too because I told Ethan we can never go anywhere ever again after the babysitter fiasco. I hope you've enjoyed seeing some of the highlights of the trip, though I will probably post a few more pictures in the upcoming weeks. But for now, I will say
The END.
3 comments:
Great trip, pictures and story of what was what. I'm glad you got to explore the bottom of the ship too. I am with you when it comes to sleeping in such close quarters. And yes the officers do get the best quarters, but I still wouldn't want to live in their quarters either. Love the cheesey poses. I love any picture that has someone that I love in them. The mixer, pots etc are huge. It would be a challenge to cook for so many and have it turn out good. Love the pictures of the churches too. Ethan is correct! Once again you have made me want to visit Boston even more than I do already.
Love you both tons. Mom
ooh, i DO love that picture of the buildings! such great perspective and color! so glad you got to get away, but wow! what a nightmare about the babysitter. i can't imagine the stress that caused. you make me want to take my man and get out of town even so.
What a trip that must have been! SO MUCH FUN!!! In years to come, you will forget about the babysitter fiasco and only remember the wonderful time you and Ethan had together. And the Little People won't always be little. They grow up and tend themselves. Remarkable!
LOVE YOU! Jane
Post a Comment