Let me tell you a little secret about our family. We have a hard time making decisions and committing to them. So, getting a trip planned with tickets purchased and hotels reserved is really tricky. Usually someone in the decision pool has a hard time thinking about things in the future... so things get put off til the last minute. Which means, that options become very limited. Especially if you're planning on taking 9 people and especially, especially if you're cheap. So, what happens, more often than not is we don't do anything. But sometimes we get out and do something epic anyway. That's kind of how our spring break was. Seoul was the only thing we could afford by the time we were ready to commit to a decision... so Seoul is where we went!
We drove out to Aomori so we could catch a direct flight. I had flown out of this airport when I went to Hong Kong last year and had a great experience. Unfortunately, this one was less than awesome. I wasn't sure what food would be served, so we bought some food from the extremely limited supply of options at the airport. Immigration was extra grumpy and made it very confusing to get through his line. I just stuck my ID in my pocket as we were trying to get through. Getting through security was tricky. They were going through almost all of our carry-ons. They confiscated Levi's deodorant (but none of the rest of ours) he was pretty upset by that! They found scissors in Bryant's backpack, but then let him keep them. I was trying to help everyone through and get everything back how we needed it for the flight.
But we finally managed to get through all that and onto the plane. The kids were excited to see they had TVs even though it was a short flight.
The TVs kept everyone happy on the flight except Fisher. Thankfully Daddy worked some kind of magic and got him to sleep.
At the Incheon airport we broke out the food we bought in Aomori since everyone was starving at this point. Ethan got us a pocket wifi for the trip. Totally worth it.
Taking the train to get to the Temple. These kids were done with traveling, already. Ha.
After a short walk, we got to our first destination! The best place!
Ethan and I like to visit the temple for our anniversary every year we can. This was the day after our anniversary so it was a no brainer to do sealings to celebrate! Unfortunately, the window of time they have posted on their website was kind of misleading. We got there with time to finish before the window closed... but they were all very stressed that there wouldn't be time. So we rushed to get ready and get to the correct room... They let me in and let me act proxy for some of my ancestors with another man across the alter from me. Of course, it was all in Korean, so I didn't really get to refresh my memory from that beautiful day 18 years ago. Well, the man who was acting proxy opposite me had to leave to make to the endowment session and when they opened the door there was Ethan standing there waiting... the guy wouldn't let him get dressed for sealing or let him in the room. So, for the very last family card I had brought Ethan was at least in the room, but had to act as a witness so they could rush through the last one as quickly as possible.
I hope my ancestors were happy that the work got done, because that's all I can say for the experience, the work got done. It was very disappointing, otherwise. We were able to go sit in the Celestial room together afterward. That was really nice. It would have been a little nicer if we'd had a positive experience that invited the spirit before that, but when you live thousands of miles from the temple, you take what you can get. We snapped a picture as we left. I love him.
The kids were able to stay in a room on the grounds to wait for us. They waited with a friend from Misawa who had lived here for several years. She was planning to do baptisms in the morning, as were the boys so I gave her my female names to get done. It was so cool taking so many names to the temple... We had about 21 names for baptism and 5 couples to be sealed. I love the Korean writing so the sealer could read the names.
After we finished at the temple we set out to find some dinner. We looked and we looked and we walked and we walked... until we finally ended up with Kentucky Fried Chicken. Who would have thought that such a huge city would close down so early? Then we had to find the right bus to ride to get close to our hotel. We found it, thanks to my husband's mad skills. When we tried to board the bus driver kind of yelled at Ethan who was trying to pay and preventing people from getting on behind him. We moved in and on wondering how we were going to pay and what would happen if he couldn't take our payment. Yikes. Thankfully, a nice guy who could speak a little English helped sort things out so we were able to pay.
And after a short walk we made it to our hotel. The Dragon Hill Lodge is a military hotel and it is big! To enter a military base you have to have proper identification, but since we were such a large crew, they just waved us all through after Ethan showed his ID. We checked in and I made my way downstairs to buy some food from the shoppette... only to find that the ID (military ID) I'd put in my pocket was no longer there! That meant I couldn't buy anything... but worse, it meant my ID was gone and who knows where???
Saturday morning Ethan took the boys to the temple to do baptisms. The younger kids and I stayed in the hotel. I called the front desk to see what protocol was with my ID situation. I would have to file a police report and get a guest pass. We couldn't get a new ID until Monday, but when Ethan got back we took a taxi to a different gate (about 2.5 miles away from the hotel) to get my guest pass. There, they informed me that I would have to return to that gate to get a new guess pass every 24 hours. UGH!!! In Japan, we were able to get a pass for guests for the whole time they are there. This seemed ridiculous. We took a few minutes to explore the hotel and its surroundings. We were trying to find the entrance to the pool... instead we found this lovely gazebo.
But we were good for the next 24 hours, so we hit the town. One of the things we wanted to do was shop. Things are really limited in Japan, especially where we live. So this was especially exciting for a couple of my kids who have a hard time finding things that fit them in Japan.
A nice lady took a picture of our family for us.
This shopping district was different than anything most of us have every seen. Tiny alleys you wouldn't dare walk down in the US. Half doors for the shops in basements.
All sorts of variety of food and goods.
Many things are much cheaper in Korea... but too bad for Jonas shoes aren't as good a deal as he'd hoped for. But you never see the "Big Size" signs in Japan...
For dinner, the kids really wanted to go to The Original Pancake House. Because, you know, we were in Korea. Ha. It was actually really good.
I don't remember where this was, but they had all sorts of metal tiles in the sidewalk with greetings in other countries. I liked how much English there was in Korea. I miss being literate.
We bought lots of ridiculous stuff, but these might just win for the most bizarre.
Fisher wasn't too sure what to think about that tiger...
The next day was Sunday. We decided to watch the Saturday sessions of General Conference. We watched the first session and then walked over to the War Memorial across the street from the hotel. I really liked it! The kids seemed to have fun, as well.
Bolton and Abraham were running from plane to plane, tank to tank, etc. telling me to take their pictures. It was pretty hilarious. Fisher loved all the chasing he got to do.
Bryant was impressed he could stand up in this one.
We also got to explore a ship. There was a sign that said it had taken fire from North Korean ships in 2002. The had outlined all the holes with red to show just much it was hit.
My silly boys wanted to pose for pictures.
After spending enough time with the planes, tanks, boats, etc. we made our way to the memorial. This picture shows the stone bowl which represents "a bowl of accommodating the spirit of compatriots and the yearning for national unification."
I really didn't know anything about this war. I was moved, as I usually am with these kinds of things. This picture tells what each part of the memorial represents.
These bronze statues are a representation of people from all walks of life that were affected by the war. It shows the pain and suffering that the war brought while also carrying "the spirit of sacrifice and dedication to the defense of the fatherland of past patriots."
The Tower symbolizes a bronze sword and a tree of life. "The sword represents the time-honored history and the warrior spirit. The tree of life symbolizes the prosperity and peace of the Korean people."
Under the memorial, there were a few exhibits we were able to explore.
This was truly beautiful and inspiring. Each nation that sent troops or humanitarian aid workers is represented. In their native language a tribute is given.
We went back to the hotel and discovered that I was only supposed to use that same gate 2.5 miles from the hotel to get back in. I was thoroughly annoyed at this point.
We finished watching conference. Oh, how I love listening to the leaders of the church speak the Lord's will for us.
Sunday evening we decided to go to the hotel pool as a family. The day before I had just asked at the front desk how to get to the pool since we couldn't figure it out on our own. They gave me directions and I was realized that there was absolutely no way we would have found that on our own! It was crazy, take one elevator up to the third floor, walk this way, turn, take another elevator down to the first floor. Who designed this place?! Ha. I also asked if babies were allowed in the water with a swim diaper, for that the front desk called the pool and had me ask them that. They told me that they were allowed and they had the swim diapers at the pool. Yay! That was one thing I had forgotten to pack!
So we all made the long trek to the pool and when we signed in they informed me that they were out of swim diapers. Ugh. So much for a fun family activity. I was so not impressed with this place. Of course, all these things that were really getting me down were really my fault. I just wish that they had made dealing with my mistakes easier. So, Fisher and I went back to the room to hang out. Ethan came to get me to have a turn in the water after a while. I wasn't in the mood for fun at all at this point. And there were SO many people there that I couldn't even pretend to have fun. Though, I honestly didn't try very hard.
Sunday night Fisher spent half the night screaming...not just crying... truly screaming. I was up with him a good chunk of the night. I was exhausted.
Monday morning we got breakfast downstairs in the hotel at The Deli. It was super delicious breakfast burritos or sandwiches. Then daddy let everyone choose a doughnut. He bought a dozen, including a Nutella iced one and (what he thought was a) crushed peanut covered one. Well, the one doughnut Bryant had chosen happened to be squished next to the Nutella doughnut. Bryant happens to be extremely allergic to hazelnuts, so that was a no go. Bryant's choice had chocolate icing and was covered in sprinkles. Levi had chosen a chocolate iced, half was covered in sprinkles and half had a white tiny drizzle. The obvious solution to Bryant's problem was to switch with Levi... if only! Levi just refused. We tried to reason with him, we tried to appeal to his sympathetic side, nothing. He belligerently looked at Bryant and took a big bite of his doughnut. We were not impressed.
So Bryant found a coconut doughnut and decided to it. It had been next to the "peanut" doughnut. Except that the peanuts were actually walnuts and he is severely allergic to them as well. So Bryant went upstairs to get some medicine. And because of the medicine and the reaction he was a zombie the rest of the day. Just out of it and not feeling well.
Ethan and I left the kids at this point to go file a police report and then to get a new ID card. It took most of the morning, but it had to be done and we were thankful that I was able to get it done at all. When we finished we still had to go back to the other gate in order to get my driver's license, so we all waited in line to get a taxi (or two taxis, I should say).
At the park we all boarded the elephant train to go to the zoo!
Ethan took Bolton and Abraham with him.
Fisher likes to howl like a wolf, so when we happened upon these grey wolves he had to get out of the stroller to see them.
The zoo was really big. We had fun seeing lots of the animals, but others the kids felt sad for. Especially the older kids... they have reached an age where they have compassion for animals who would be happier roaming free, in the wild.
Everyone thought this white peacock was pretty cool.
Sea lions can be so much fun to watch!
These kids wanted to go up these stairs to see what was up there... Fisher wanted to follow... see how far he made it. Ha!
Checking out the map.
My favorite! Elephants!
The boys wanted their picture taken with this pygmy hippo... the hippos were a favorite at the last zoo we visited.
We finished the day with a stop at the gift shop. The younger set all got a stuffed tiger with the last of their souvenir money. Ethan came out with these yummy potato chips!
On our way back to the hotel, we stopped in this little noodle house down a tiny alley off the main road. Most everyone was happy with their selection for dinner.
Fisher couldn't get enough of the noodles. He is definitely an Asian at heart... give him all the rice and noodles!
Trying to get the clams out of their shells with Korean chopsticks proved a little difficult.
Keepin' at it.
"That's how it's done."
These ladies were so cute! They seemed to love our family and wanted to take care of us. It was really sweet. Notice her fingers? In Japan, they are all about the peace symbol for photos (though I don't know if that's what it is to them?). In Korea, they make a little heart with their finger and thumb.
After another restless night for poor Fisher (and co.), our last full day in Korea was spent taking a tour of the DeMilitarized Zone (DMZ) between North and South Korea. The first stop on our tour was Freedom Bridge. You can learn more about this area here.
There are actually two bridges at this location... It was kind of confusing what was what. But Freedom Bridge is a bridge that connects the north to the south. Now, it is a symbol of hope that they will be unified again soon. In the future, it will be a major thoroughfare between them.
I took a picture of Fisher's head because you can see he has little petechiae all over. He screamed so much during the night that his broke the tiny capillaries in his skin.
I wanted to get down to see this monument... but as you'll see we got stopped from doing much we wanted to do...
The next stop on our DMZ tour was the Third Tunnel. It is a tunnel that was dug out by the north to infiltrate the south... they learned it was being dug while peace talks were commencing. A man who was pretty important in the north defected to the south and informed the south about the tunneling. They have 4 tunnels, I think. No pictures were allowed in the tunnel, but we went deep and down. We had to wear a hard hat and were very glad that we did because it got knocked on the top of the tunnel many, many times.
We explored the outside area here a lot. It was nice for Fisher to have some room to run around.
It was a wait to get.a picture with these letters. And I totally snapped at some people who hadn't been waiting as long as us and jumped in before the kids could get in there for a photo.
When they finally got their turn I had prepped them by saying decide which letter you're standing by and how before you get over there. Then as soon as the rude people who jumped in before us left I told them to run! They ran in, looked at the camera, I clicked it and they ran out.
For the next stop, we went to the Dora Observatory. We learned a lot of interesting things in this tour. Things like Kim JongUn is fat because he admired his grandfather so much and he wanted to be like him. And that both the north and the south require military service. The south requires all males to serve a minimum 18 months active duty. The north requires 10 years for males and 6 years from females.
Another interesting thing we learned is that each side has a propaganda town right. The two towns face each other. From this stop on our tour we could view the villages. The Town in the south would blast K-Pop music into the air and our tour guide told us a story about a guy who crossed the border from the north. He got shot, the guards on the south side pulled him in to safety and they took him to a hospital. When he finally woke up, he wanted two things... K-Pop and chocolate pie. Apparently there is a big black market for chocolate pie in the north.
What.a good daddy these guys have.
And the best big brother.
Ethan and Bryant took some pictures through the binoculars. This is the guard tower in North Korea. Everyone was saying they could see a guard... I still can't see it. I heard lots of people saying he looked like he was dancing or waving.
The town in the south has people who live there. No one can move into the town, unless they marry into a family there. Actually, if a man marries a woman who lives there, they will move away... but if a woman marries a man who lives there then they can live in the town.
The town in the north hasn't appeared to have actual inhabitants for many years.
The last stop on our tour is a train station that is in place for when unification happens. It is a total symbol of hope for the people of both sides of the border.
There was some beautiful artwork.
This was pretty weird... that blue oval is soap in the public bathroom.
They have a model of the Joint Security Area where peace talk take place. They used to do tours to the JSA as well, but a year or two ago they stopped allowing civilians in the area. So, this model was the closest we got.
Fisher's feelings on the bus...
The last item on my list of dreams in Korea was fabric shopping. I know, I'm a big dork. My dear, sweet friend who used to live in Seoul (and Daegu) and was also visiting for Spring break from Misawa offered to take me to the biggest fabric shopping center in the world... But first a quick photo of this gate.
This shopping center is literally 4-5 buildings, 6 floors each of fabric, notions, lace, trim... anything you might need for sewing. It was overwhelming and awesome. I got some amazing deals! Something like 12+ yards of nice quality knits and linen for something like $40 (USD). I was pretty stoked!
Ethan and the kids went and had some actual Korean food with our friends and I met them back at the hotel. Fisher, somehow, knew exactly what to do with this phone...
We decided to meet our friends for dinner at one of their favorite old places... we took a taxi because it was raining pretty bad. It was late and getting later as we searched for the restaurant. To no avail. So we traipsed around some more and looked and looked for a place to eat. Finally deciding on the mall as the most likely place to find something open... well, unfortunately, everything was open, but not seating new customers. Ugh. Long night/story short... we went to Smoothie King for our last Korean meal. It was hilarious! Nothing says Korean food like grilled cheese and smoothies. Hahahah!
And just like that, it was time for us to return to Japan so Ethan could get to work the next day. Hanging out in the airport.
It was a fun trip, full of all sorts of frustration and we came home exhausted! But we're glad we got to have the opportunity to explore a new country and especially to do some work in the temple for our ancestors who have been waiting.


















































































































































































































2 comments:
Wow is all I can say. Your trip to Korea was interesting. Sounded like you learned some new things. So happy you got to visit a new place. Love you all tons. Mom
The pictures were all great. I love the masks, the Temple and the zoo.
Post a Comment