Friday, September 02, 2016

Sapporo Temple Dedication

Living in Japan is full of new and exciting adventures.  We have been excited as we become more familiar with the people and the things to see and do in our new environment.  It also has challenges, when we are out in "real Japan" (off base) we are basically illiterate.  And communicating with the people is extremely difficult.  We have tried to learn some basics, but it is a very difficult language to learn.  So, we'll continue to try and accept that we can do hard things.

Another challenge for us is our distance from the LDS temple.  As of August 21, there are three operating temples in Japan.  The Tokyo temple is approximately 10 hours away and costs $150 in tolls one way.  Of course, we could take a bullet train down, but that is $300 per person.  So, yeah, its a lot.  A big sacrifice of both time and money to get there.

The Fukuoka temple is even further away.  

And on August 21, the new Sapporo temple was dedicated.  Sapporo is on the island north of us.  I'm not quite sure how much it will cost us to get there, but it will involve a ferry and bus more than likely.  I think the travel time is around 8 hours.  

As you can see, getting to the temple while still very important to us, is just not going to be as feasible as it has been in the past.  Those of you who live close to a temple, please, please go often!  I've been trying to convince Ethan that we can still get there frequently, but we're also considering other ways to make the temple a priority in our life.  We have a day set aside each month as our Temple Day.  We'll use some time that day to study about the temple or research family names or hopefully get to actually visit one.

In August we were blessed to attend the dedication as a family (minus the youngest two).

It was really great to be able to attend the dedication with the kids.  I really felt the spirit touch my soul.  One of the sisters that spoke talked about how even though they were so far from the temple before they were still able to make it a priority and attend the temple often.  I felt the spirit tugging at my heart that it is possible if we want to make it so.

One of the men that spoke talked about how we need to not get stuck in excuses that keep us from the blessings of the temple.  Yes, it takes time.  Yes, it takes planning and effort and energy.  But it always worth it.

Bryant was blessed in California with a youth group who met at the church every other week at 4 am and went to Oakland temple to do baptisms.  He grew to love the temple.  Jonas will be 12 in six months and I want him to develop a love for the temple, too.

I know its not quite as bad as those people who are completely destitute and have to save money for their whole lives to be able to attend the temple one time.  I know it could be much harder to get to a temple.  I'm thankful that its only as hard as it will be.  But I hope that our faith and testimony will only increase as we learn to sacrifice and prioritise the temple in our life.

I love the temple.  It truly is the House of the Lord.

1 comment:

Grandma Hoss said...

I totally agree with you. You can make it a priority and every penny you spend will be worth it. I too hope that Jonas will be able to grow to love going to the temple and doing baptisms for the dead. I am so proud of you and Ethan for the ways that you are teaching your children to love the temple. You both set a great example for your wee ones. Love one very proud mama. Mom