I have been thinking about following my friend Carrie's example and put myself to the test to write a novel. I've had an idea brewing for about a year and half now. So, when a NaNoWriMo announcement appeared in my inbox one day I decided to go for it and sign up!
From their website:
National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30.
Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought fleetingly about writing a novel.
Well, as you know November is a busy month. Even moreso for me this year since I was putting on a play on November 7. BUT... I had Ethan buy me a laptop to take with us on our trip to Denver and I began writing!
I wrote a lot, but because I got such a late start I wondered if I would reach my goal of 50,000 words by the end of the month. It was so fun to sit down to write and have the story and characters come to life. One time I told Ethan, "I gave birth to a new character today... I had no idea he was coming, but he came nonetheless!"
My novel is about a young man named Grayson who had a journey to make to become part of a great kingdom. I had so much fun writing and seeing my word count increase each time I'd write. By November 10 I had around only 1900 words and by the time we came home from Denver I was up to around 20,000! The problem was that I had 30,000 to go and only about 2 weeks to finish.
Then our kitchen fell apart and stress started really building. Thankfully Ethan took us to Utah for Thanksgiving so I was able to spend a good chunk of time writing in the car. I got up before any one else was awake and would write. I ignored some family to write. But by the time we got home from Utah (on November 29) I was up to 45,000+ words. I was so close I could taste it! I had avoided writing on Sundays, but November 30 was the Sabbath and so I justified writing once the kids were in bed so I could try to finish and reach my goal.
I wrote and wrote and after 11:00 pm my word count in my document indicated that I had more than 50K words so I tried submitting it and the official word counter still had me short! Bummer! So I kept writing. As you can see below I wrote until 11:34 pm but I did it! I completed 50,000 words in one month! The story isn't finished and I haven't taken the time to work on it since then, but I think I will finish the story and begin editing soon. I am so excited and so proud of myself for accomplishing something so difficult. Hopefully one day I will be satisfied with it and print it for my family to enjoy. I realize that it will not be anything grand that publishers will be knocking on my door to publish, but it was an incredible experience and I'm so pleased that I stuck to it!
This screen popping up had a video below with people congratulating me. I cried real tears. It was amazing. I may become addicted. Until next year NaNoWriMo, adieu!

5 comments:
Kim, that is amazing! Good for you, both for setting such an ambitious goal and then for making it happen! I hope I get to read it someday.
Wow, Wow, and WOW!!!! What an incredible story of determination amidst challenges!!! Your LIFE of writing during the month of Nov. could be your next story!!!
Perhaps we'll be someone you share your book with!
Love! Jane
I left a comment, but I don't see it, so I'll try again. That's awesome! That's a tight deadline, but what a fun and challenging goal. Do you know what the equivalent of 50,000 words is to number of pages? I'm curious. Good luck editing your novel.
I'm not sure on page count Camille, since typesets vary in every book. I can tell you to check out arbookfinder.com to see how many words are in books your familiar with. The closest I've found to 50K are Ella Enchanted and Artemis Fowl.
I am so proud of you Kim. You are amazing and what an example of determination you are. I really want to read your book. Much love Mom
Post a Comment