It was our Spring Break already a couple weeks ago and we decided to make the most of it! We headed up to Missouri to see Ethan's sister and her family who we haven't seen in almost 2 years!!! (Longer for Ethan!) Then rather than just hand out there, we all trekked up to Nauvoo for a couple days. We had such a great time!!!
Once we got to Nauvoo, we checked into our condos. We stayed at the Nauvoo Villas which are awesome!!! They are like little apartments with bedrooms, kitchens, laundry, everything! It was perfect. There are few things I dislike more than staying in a tiny hotel room with all 5 of my children, so bedrooms make any hotel stay indescribably better.
We didn't have a ton of time our first day since everything closed down by 5 pm. So, we played at the condos and ate pizza together. As you can see, they kids were happy as could be...
This adorable babe stole all our hearts. You can totally see why Bolton was son interested in her, she is gorgeous!!!As for the running water, the young men got that job... they would fill these buckets at a well and then run up to the Temple site with the buckets yoked to their shoulders. Quite a big and important job.
We had lots of room and time to run and play. It was just what the kids needed after all that time in the car.

We also took a carriage ride to see what the area might have been like prior to the Saints building up the City Beautiful. We got to sing "I am a Child of God" a quiet grove and it was sweet.


After the ride, they let the kids pet the horses, can you tell who is excited?!!?


Daddy was afraid he'd be bald before the trip was through.
That day we headed over to the Nauvoo Bakery (in New Nauvoo) for lunch. Once again, you can see the kids had a delightful time just being kids.


These little sourgum cookies were super yummy!

We kept getting the little girls confused with each other from behind. They are so cute!




We met up with Sister Taylor again in the Print Shop! She was by far the most engaging missionary who taught us. Giving the kids a real hands on experience. Side note... My dad noted when he was there a year ago that in the print shop the capital letters were all in an "upper" case and the small letters were in a "lower" case. Anyone know if that's where the titles came from?

If you'll notice Levi's absence from the photo. He wasn't too into the whole Nauvoo thing. He refused to go inside many of the buildings as well as many of the pictures.
See, there he is being busy doing something else...


After the ride, they let the kids pet the horses, can you tell who is excited?!!?


These little sourgum cookies were super yummy!

This is the Family Living Center where they teach you how to do a lot of fun things.
First up, making rope. The kids all got to twist it until it was nice and tight...

Then, those three pieces were twisted together to make a strong rope.
Best of all, they got to keep the rope they made!! Bryant and Conrad had a great time lassoing anything they could!
The final tour we were able to do was at the Seventies Hall. Elder Taylor was our guide here.

We stopped by the Blacksmith shop, but they were closing early due to a reenactment of the organization of Relief Society for the missionaries. Elder Taylor was portraying Joseph Smith and Sister Taylor was Emma. It would have been neat to see, but only the missionaries to got to take part. The Blacksmith did give us "prairie diamond" rings, though.
The final tour we were able to do was at the Seventies Hall. Elder Taylor was our guide here.
We stopped by the Blacksmith shop, but they were closing early due to a reenactment of the organization of Relief Society for the missionaries. Elder Taylor was portraying Joseph Smith and Sister Taylor was Emma. It would have been neat to see, but only the missionaries to got to take part. The Blacksmith did give us "prairie diamond" rings, though. Our last stop for the day was the Trail of Hope down to the Mississippi River. Ali and Josh didn't join us for this part of the day, but we had fun and are glad we did it.
My boys love to climb, especially trees. Jonas ran as fast as he could to this one and begged me to take his picture. What mom could resist?
Bryant on a barge.
Tossing "pooh berries" into Old Muddy Water.

You would be amazed at how difficult it is to get a good family picture... these are the best of at least 12!

I love Nauvoo! The spirit I feel there is incredible. The Saints and the Prophet were amazing people. I'm so thankful for all they went through to build up God's kingdom.
Bryant on a barge.
Tossing "pooh berries" into Old Muddy Water.
I love Nauvoo! The spirit I feel there is incredible. The Saints and the Prophet were amazing people. I'm so thankful for all they went through to build up God's kingdom.More from this trip and the last week to follow soon!
11 comments:
Oh Kimmy! How lovely. I loved your post. I am soo glad you had your camera!!!!! Thanks for not posting the picture with my big ole double chin. Or the silly scarf picture either. I had such a wonderful time with you and your family!!! Sincerely, it was so nice. I really really enjoyed it all. Thanks for coming to visit us, it's not easy to travel with kids, I really appreciate you sacrificing to come see us. !!!!!!!
Love y'all!!!
wow, what an awesome trip! it sounds amazing, i hope we can do that with our kids someday!
You guys sure know how to have fun! I love seeing pictures of your kids just enjoying being together.
What a fun trip! I haven't been to Nauvoo since I was 8. I was just thinking this morning, as I checked my google reader, "What on earth happened to Kim? She has disappeared." Yea for fun with family.
Kim, has anybody ever mentioned that you look so great in green? Well, you do--really great:)
I would so love to visit Nauvoo. Thanks for all of the pictures! It is so fun to see all that you were able to see and I'm glad that you had a great trip!
Looks like a great time! So glad you got to go!
How fun!! We went during the middle of summer and it was not so fun. Too hot! I can't help but pity those pioneer women in their bolts of fabric. Whoa.... looks like you had a fabulous time and I love all the pictures!! I want to go again!
sounds like an awesome trip. i love that the taylors were there, how fun!
Wow! Great fun and even better pictures. Dad and I want to someday be missionaries in Nauvoo. It would be fun to tell the stories, knit, and sing. Love the fun things you all did and the pictures showing how much fun you had. Love you tons. Mom
What a great post, I always love to read about your blog,with all the pictures and everything it makes me miss you guys so much. You surely have a wonderful family. Good work :)
Wow, wow, wow!!! What a LOT of fun pictures. The Mississippi River backdrop...AWESOME!!! Our dear friends, the Taylors, being actual famous missionaries. The beautiful cousins playing, playing, playing! Their parents who are willing to endure...and endure...in order to provide rich experiences for their kids. What a great time! Makes me want to do it again...with y'all!!
Love, Jane
Post a Comment